Asthma: A common chronic inflammatory disease
Anurashree Verma1*, Charushila Biswas2
1SRM University, Chennai, India
2VIT University, Vellore, India
- *Corresponding Author:
- Anurashree Verma
SRM University,Chennai, Tamilnadu, India,
Tel: +91 9941372586
Received: 25/05/2015 Accepted: 09/06/2015
Visit for more related articles at Research & Reviews: Journal of Nursing and Health Sciences
Asthma is a chronic lung disease which cause inflammation in the bronchioles, narrow the airways and characterized by airflow obstruction and bronchospasm, coughing, chest tightness, wheezing, shortness of breath referred as asthma attack [1,5,9,16,27,32,52,69,73,78]. The major risk factors of asthma are allergens like pollens, dust, smoking, mites in bedding and chemical irritants [63,85]. The disease may also trigger by extreme emotion, anger, fear, cold air and physical exercise and also affects distal lung parenchyma [10,25,31,33,35,75,76]. Laryngopharyngeal reflux is one of the suspected exacerbating factors for developing asthma and studies are going on to understand the real association between these two common diseases . Even endocrine disorders like obesity and diabetes influence the prevalence of asthma [55,61,68,71].
World health organization has proposed different groupings and phenotypes of the severe asthma and differentiated into two categories: treatment resistance severe asthma (TRSA) and difficult to treat severe asthma (DTTSA). TRSA includes patients using maximum levels of inhaled medications and not achieving adequate levels of control whereas DTTSA is a controllable severe asthma .
Asthma is a treatable disease affecting more than 300 million people worldwide but if it is poorly controlled can become life threatening [2,30,41,43,47,70,86]. It is reported that about one-fifth of the workers diagnosed with “occupational asthma” are affected with irritant induced asthma .
Asthma is one of the major epidemics whose prevalence is kept on increasing in recent decades [3,39,50,66,74,78]. With direct and indirect economic expenditures the economic burden of asthma is estimated as 56 billion dollar annually [4,51,65].
Allergic asthma is one of the chronic diseases of paediatrics, affected by genetic and environmental factors and has become very common in recent decades [23,26,42,78,84]. Allergic asthma is triggered by different stimuli; in general environmental factors are the major cause of allergy and asthma development [6,7,54,59,82,87,88]. It was analyzed that cough variant asthma is a precursor of typical asthma as about 30% of patients with cough variant asthma develops typical asthma but not atopic cough .
It is found that the childhood exposure to allergens increase the prevalence of developing asthma. Maternal smoke during pregnancy, parental smoke, damp house and viral infections are the major causes of paediatric asthma [6,36-38,45,56,64,79,81]. Recent evidence suggests that exposure to high levels of allergen during early life might contribute to the increasing prevalence of allergic disease . A high incidence of Der p allergen was found in early infancy as a risk factor for developing asthma. One-fifth of the patients with diagnosis of asthma are found to be suffering from irritant induced asthma . Food allergy found to be casually involved in development of asthmatic response in some patients with bronchial asthma [24,48,49,80]. The food allergy related asthmatic response can be prevented by pre-treatment with disodium cromoglycate . As reported by Fida et al. among reductive age women early menarche is mostly related with a risk of developing onset asthma .
The currently used medication to treat this chronic disease in both adults and children are nebulizer devices, inhalers and sometimes oral medication. Glucocorticosteroids is the mostly recommended asthma therapy but have limitations because of corticosteroid resistance in some patients and their severe adverse effects [19,29,40,46,57,67]. It is found from many studies that the common reason for inadequate control of the disease is non-compliance with medication regimens and poor techniques to utilize the inhalers. The risk of developing asthma is unsure but depends on the genetic and environmental factors [7,83]. Salbutamol can be an effective treatment of the disease but it is associated with many undesirable side effects as tachycardia and hypokalemia .
The recent asthma guidelines focuses on current control and to reduce future risk . In further exploring the treatment and self-management of asthma, many studies have supported that the two most common reasons for inadequate control of the condition are non-compliance with medication regimens and poor technique with utilizing inhaled medications [9,58].
Yoga, the non-pharmacotherapy seems to be effective in maintenance of regular pulmonary function, physical activity and prevention of chronic symptoms as reported by Vishvender et al. Hath yoga helps the breath to link the various part of the body to the mind so that they behave as one functional unit which in turn effective in management of the asthma .
As reported by Randhawa et al. Bronchodilators are the main treatment of both the obstructive lung diseases; asthma and chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. According to Mincarini et al. Specific Immunotherapy (SIT) and Subcutaneous Immuno-therapy (SCIT) can be used to treat allergic asthma associated with rhinitis [12,13]. It shows significant improvement in asthma symptoms but cannot be recommended as a single therapy [13,17]. Armengot et al. says that the association between asthma and chronic rhinosinusitis with nasal polyps is more common and a severe disease in patients with higher tissue eosinophilia . Obstetric patients with asthma can develop a life threatening asthmaticus, so, they always represent as a challenge for intensive care specialist and require the management expertise of several specialists . Mickleborough and Lindley reported the approach of using marine oil supplement for managing exercise-induced bronchoconstriction and hyperpnea-induced bronchoconstriction which may play an important role in mitigating airway inflammation .
Pulmonary rehabilitation programs are beneficial for asthematic patients as the regular practice of Arabic exercises shows many physical and physiological beneficial effects to asthmatic patients .
- Liu HC, Chen HL, Chen CM (2014) House Dust Mite Allergy and Associated Allergen-Specific Immunotherapy in Allergic Asthma. Immunome Res 11: 85.
- Sabbah I , Arifhodzic N, Al-Ahmad M, Al-Enizi A, Al-Haddad A (2014) Influence of Air Quality Conditions on Asthmatic Patient Visits in Kuwait. J Allergy Ther 5: 197.
- McConaha JL, Jackson BM, Lasota ST (2014) Evaluation of Student Pharmacist and Pharmacist Impact on Disease State Management and Patient Satisfaction in Adult Patients with Asthma. J Pharma Care Health Sys 1: 106.
- MacRedmond RE, Singhera GK, Wadsworth SJ, Attridge S, Bahzad M, et al. (2014) Fluticasone Induces Epithelial Injury and Alters Barrier Function in Normal Subjects. J Steroids HormonSci 5: 134.
- Kazemi M, Malarvili MB (2011) Analysis of Capnogram Using Linear Predictive Coding (LPC) to Differentiate Asthmatic Conditions. J Tissue SciEng 2: 111.
- Li HJ, Liu F, Lu DG, Song YH, Wang C, et al. (2013) IL-25 Involved in Airway Inflammation of OVA-Induced Asthmatic Mice and the Inhibitory Effect of Glucocorticoid. J Allergy Ther 4:151.
- Xiao H, Rizzo AN, Siegler J, Chen W (2013) The Importance of Bronchial Epithelial Junction Integrity in Asthma. J AllerTher S11:003.
- Torabi M (2012) Spatial Disease Cluster Detection: An Application to Childhood Asthma in Manitoba, Canada. J Biomet Biostat S7:010.
- Morin C, Fortin S, Rousseau Ã‰ (2012) New Omega-3 Derivatives Reduce Airway Inflammation and Prevent Rho-Kinase Activation in an Allergic Model of Asthma. J AllerTher S1: 003.
- Sekhri V, Aronow WS, Chandy D (2011) Management of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. J AllerTher S2:002. doi:10.4172/2155-6121.S2-002.
- Ohyama M, Takenaka N, Bandow H (2012) Possible Link between Nitrous Acid and Asthma Induced by Fine Particles. J Clinic Toxicol 2: e107.
- Lewkowich IP (2011) IL-17A in Asthma - A Question of Severity. J Clin Cell Immunol 2:107.
- Akhtar J, Ansari AA, Farhin N, Rasheed HMA (2014) Incidence of Zeeq-un-NafasShoabi (Bronchial Asthma) in Individuals of Different Temperaments. J HomeopAyurv Med 3: 147.
- Possa SS, Righetti RF, Ruiz-Schütz VC, Nakashima AS, Prado CM (2014) Influence of Oral Tolerance on Lung Cytokines Expression and Oxidative Stress Activation in Guinea Pigs with Chronic Inflammation. J Allergy Ther 5: 165.
- Akhtar J, Ansari AA, Farhin N, Rasheed HMA (2014) Incidence of Zeequn- NafasShoabi (Bronchial Asthma) in Individuals of Different Temperaments. J HomeopAyurv Med 3:147.
- Bossé Y, Lee-Gosselin A, Boulet LP, King GG (2013) Airway Hyperresponsiveness in Asthma: A Better Understanding Yet to Yield Clinical Benefit. J Allergy Ther 4:150.
- Ozdogan S, Hsia D, Elisan I, Johnson C, Hardy K (2014) A Comparison of Impulse Oscillometry to Spirometry in the Evaluation of Exercise Induced Bronchoconstriction in Children with Asthma. J PulmRespir Med 4: 180.
- Lowder TW, Kunz HE (2011) Regulatory T Cells in Asthma and Airway Hyperresponsiveness. J AllerTher S1: 002.
- Pinto S, RaoAV ,Rao A (2012) Erythrocyte and Plasma Antioxidants in Bronchial Asthma Before and After Homeopathic Treatment. J HomeopatAyurv Med 1:103.
- Dembinski L, Banaszkiewicz A, Albrecht P (2013) Laryngopharyngeal Reflux and Asthma. J AllerTher S11:008.
- Insuela DBR, Silva PMR, Martins MA, Carvalho VF (2013) The Yin Yang of Hormones that Control Glucose Homeostasis in Asthma. J AllerTher S11:001.
- Ramana KV, Kumar MV, Rao SD, Akhila R, Sandhya, et al. (2012) Pulmonary Cryptococcosis Secondary to Bronchial Asthma Presenting as Type I Respiratory Failure- A Case Report with Review of Literature. VirolMycol 1:107.
- Berge JM, Bauer KW, Eisenberg ME, Denny K, Neumark-Sztainer D (2012) Psychosocial and Health Behavior Outcomes of Young Adults with Asthma or Diabetes. J Community Med Health Educ 2:144.
- Antonogeorgos G, Panagiotakos DB (2012) Obesity and Asthma: Is Diet a Therapeutic Mean? J AllerTher 3:e105.
- Glenda E, Auteri S, Fabián C, Daniel C, Fernandez M (2014) Significant Increase of IL-8 Sputum Levels in Treatment Resistant Severe Asthma Compared with Difficult to Treat Severe Asthma Patients. J Genet Syndr Gene Ther 5: 218.
- Hudd TR, Bollmeier SG, Seoane-Vazquez E (2014) Survey of Certified Asthma Educator (AE-C) Pharmacists – Who are they and how is this Credential Being Used? J PulmRespir Med 6: 1-7.
- Bantz SK, Zhu Z, Zheng T (2014) The Atopic March: Progression from Atopic Dermatitis to Allergic Rhinitis and Asthma. J Clin Cell Immunol 5:202.
- Leung TF, Tang MF, Sy HY, Wong GWK (2013) Novel Asthma Therapeutics: Insights from Whole-Genome Studies. J PharmacogenomPharmacoproteomics 4:115.
- Applegate R, Lauer R, Lenart J, Gatling J, Vadi M (2013) The Perioperative Management of Asthma. J AllerTher S11:007.
- Ammar ESM, Gameil NM, Nader MA, Shawky NM (2013) Chinese Propolis Attenuates In-Vivo and In-Vitro Asthmatic Reactions. J AllerTher S11:006.
- Hostrup M, Kalsen A, Elers J, Henninge J, Hemmersbach P, et al. (2012) Urine Concentrations of Inhaled Salmeterol and its Metabolite a-Hydroxysalmeterol in Asthmatic and Non-Asthmatic Subjects. J Sports Med Doping Stud 2:110.
- Nanjwade BK, Udhani R, Popat J, Nanjwade VK, Thakare SA (2011) Development and Characterization Salbutamol Sulphate Mouth Disintegrating Tablet. J ChemEng Process Technol 2:105.
- Brooks SM (2014) Irritant-Induced Asthma and Reactive Airways Dysfunction Syndrome (RADS). J Allergy Ther 5: 174.
- Nan Lv, Lan Xiao, Jun Ma (2014) Weight Management Interventions in Adult and Pediatric Asthma Populations: A Systematic Review. J PulmRespir Med 5: 232.
- Dhillon RK, Yawn BP, Yoo KH, Boyce TG, Jacobson RM, et al. (2011) Impact of Asthma on the Severity of Serious Pneumococcal Disease. Epidemiol S3:001.
- Ahmed A, Ahmed F, Raza MZ, Ghani A, Rizvi N (2013) A Descriptive Analysis of Asthma Exacerbations and it’s Mortality in Karachi, Pakistan. J AllerTher S11:004.
- Wu D (2012) New Insights into the Pathological Features of Asthma/COPD and Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension. Air Water Borne Dis 1:e113.
- Theofilou P, Saborit AR (2012) Predictors of Asthma Treatment Adherence. J PsycholPsychother S3: e001.
- Hudd TR, Bollmeier SG, Seoane-Vazquez E (2014) Survey of Certified Asthma Educator (AE-C) Pharmacists – Who are they and how is this Credential Being Used? 4: 223.
- Mahboub BH, SMA Shendi FR, Safarini BK, AbdulAziz MH, Mustafa GM, et al. (2013) Cost of Asthma in Dubai, United Arab Emirates (UAE). J PulmonResp Med 3:146.
- Rappaport H, Bonthapally V (2012) The Direct Expenditures and Indirect Costs Associated with Treating Asthma in the United States. J AllerTher 3: 118.
- Horner AA (2014) Innate Immune Regulation of the Allergic March: Using House Dust to Validate the Hygiene Hypothesis. J Clin Cell Immunol 5: 194.
- Hasanloei MAV, Athari SS (2014) Proper Care of Allergic Asthma before Hospitalization. J Allergy Ther 5: 161.
- Hassan BAR (2013) Overview at Asthma. Nat Prod Chem Res 1:e103.
- Rivière GJ, Yeh CM, Reynolds CV, Brookman L, Kaiser G (2011) Bioequivalence of a Novel Omalizumab Solution for Injection Compared with the Standard Lyophilized Powder Formulation. J BioequivAvailab 3: 144-150.
- Cantani A (2014) Children with Chronic Asthma Have a Significant Sensitization to Multiple Aeroallergens: A Prospective Study in 74 Children. Interdiscip J Microinflammation 1: 124.
- Yap JMG, Ching MW, Cabanilla CQ, Ramos JDA (2014) Multiple House Dust Mite Allergen- Sensitization Profiles in Children with Allergic Asthma. J Allergy Ther 5: 179.
- Onal O, Yilmaz S (2013) Anesthesia Management in a Patient Diagnosed with Kounis-Zavras Syndrome and Who has Brittle Asthma and Samter Triad. J Clin Case Rep 3:254.
- Hayashi T (2012) Molecular Mechanisms of Metaplasia, Differentiation and Hyperplasia of Goblet Cellin Allergic Asthma. J AllerTher 3:121.
- Muawia S, Zidan M, Daabis R, Wagdy M (2011) Association of CD40 Genotyping and its Protein Expression with Airway Inflammatory Diseases. J MolBiomarkDiagn 2:115.
- Svensson A, Almqvist N, Chandy AG, Nordström I, Eriksson K (2010) Exposure to Human Herpes Virus Type 6 Protects Against Allergic Asthma in Mice. J AllerTher 1:101.
- Alsamarai AM, Alobaidi AHA, Alwan AM, Abdulaziz ZH, Dawood ZM (2011) Systemic Adverse Reaction to Specific Immunotherapy. J AllerTher 2:111.
- Ishiura Y, Fujimura M, Kasahara K (2014) Eosinophilic Bronchial Disorders Presenting Chronic Cough; Atopic Cough, Cough Variant Asthma and Non-Asthmatic Eosinophilic Bronchitis. J Genet Syndr Gene Ther 5:217.
- Källén B (2014) Maternal Asthma and Use of Antiasthmatic Drugs in Early Pregnancy and Congenital Malformations in the Offspring. J PulmRespir Med 4:166.
- Saeedi M, Taghizadieh A, Ala A, Moharamzadeh P, Zamani M (2013) Evaluation of Predictors of Admission in Asthmatic Patients in Emergency Department. Trop Med Surg 1:154.
- Gandhi CS, Kundra S, Singh T, Chaudary GK, Khosla PP (2013) Assessment of Quality of Life in Children with Asthma and Epilepsy. PediatTherapeut 3:175.
- Valadares MA, Santos IN, Melo EV, da Silva ÂM, Archanjo PT, et al. (2013) Spirometry with FEV0.75 Increases the Sensitivity for the Diagnosis of Obstructive Disorder in Children of Asthmatic Mothers. J AllerTher S2:006.
- Kannan Y, Wilson MS (2012) TEC and MAPK Kinase Signalling Pathways in T helper (TH) cell Development, TH2 Differentiation and Allergic Asthma. J Clin Cell Immunol S12:011.
- Erbas B, Dharmage SC, O’Sullivan M, Akram M, Newbigin E, et al. (2012) A Case-Crossover Design to Examine the Role of Aeroallergens and Respiratory Viruses on Childhood Asthma Exacerbations Requiring Hospitalization: The Mapcah Study. J Biomet Biostat S7-018.
- Demir E, Midyat L, Can D, Kanik A, Uzuner N (2011) Effects of Air Quality and Climate Change on Airway Hyperreactivity in Children (A Multi-Centered Study). J PulmonarRespirat Med 1:105.
- Pritpal K, Sean D, Kiran S, Ajay K, Karan M, et al. (2011) Prevalence of Asthma in Elderly versus Young in Rural and Urban Area of India. J PulmonarRespirat Med 1: 102.
- Hutchinson SG, Penders J, Muris JWM, van Schayck CP, Dompeling E, et al. (2013) Environmental Tobacco Smoke Exposure and Respiratory Complaints in Children Aged 0-13 Years: A Cross-sectional Study in South-Limburg, The Netherlands. J AllerTher S11:002.
- Qian Z, Shi-man W, Juan L, Zhi-Fang L (2013) The Expression and Significance of CD4+T Lymphocyte in the Peripheral Blood of Patients with Asthma. J AllerTher S11:005.
- Asija A, DeLorenzo L, Aronow WS (2013) Bronchial Thermoplasty in Severe Asthma. J AllerTher 4:e107.
- Pelikan Z (2014) Protective Effects of Oral Disodium Cromoglycate on the Asthmatic Responses Induced by Food Allergy. J Allergy Ther 5: 163.
- Fida NG, Williams MA, Daniel A Enquobahrie (2012) Association of Age at Menarche and Menstrual Characteristics with Adult Onset Asthma among Reproductive Age Women. Reprod Sys Sexual Disorders 1: 111.
- Chauhan BF, Chartrand C, Ducharme FM (2013) Should we Substitute Intermittent for Maintenance Inhaled Corticosteroids in Patients with Persistent Asthma? A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Allergy Ther 4:155.
- Kamimura M, Mouri A, Takayama K, Mizutani T, Hamamoto Y, et al. (2013) Transdermal Application of Steroid to Cervical Trachea for the Cough in Patients with Bronchial Asthma and Cough Variant Asthma-A Pilot Study. J Allergy Ther 4:152.
- Asai N, Ohkuni Y, Kaneko N (2013) A Successful Case of Persistent Asthma in the Treatment of Inhalation Corticosteroid Combination Therapy of Budesonide/Folmoterol and Ciclesonide. J Clin Case Rep 3:296.
- Price D, Chisholm A, Hillyer EV, Burden A, von Ziegenweidt J, et al. (2013) Effect of Inhaled Corticosteroid Therapy Step-Down and Dosing Regimen on Measures of Asthma Control. J AllerTher 4: 126.
- Loh LC (2012) Risks of Long-Acting Beta-Agonist in Asthma-Perceived or Real?. J PulmonarRespirat Med 2:e115.
- Wu AC, Davis R, Tantisira K, Dutta-Linn MM, Hemmes M (2011) Acceptance of Asthma Pharmacogenetic Study by Children and Adults. J Pharmacogenomics Pharmacoproteomics 2:103.
- Rahman A, khanum S, Turcu S (2012) Levosalbutamol versus Salbutamol for Treatment of Acute Exacerbation of Asthma in Bangladesh Children. J AllerTher 3:123.
- Shirai T, Kawayama T, Nagase H, Inoue H, Sato S, et al. (2014) Exhaled Nitric Oxide Measurement may Predict Asthma Exacerbation after Stepping down Formoterol/Budesonide Combination Therapy in Adult Asthma. J Allergy Ther 5:173.
- Srinivasarao K, Gorule V, VenkataReddiahCh, Venkata Krishna A (2012) Validated Method Development for Estimation of FormoterolFumarate and MometasoneFuroate in Metered Dose Inhalation Form by High Performance Liquid Chromatography. J Anal Bioanal Tech 3:153.
- Vishvender S, Archana S, Shailaja U, Prasanna NR, Amit V (2014) Preventive and Curative Aspect of Yoga in Management of Asthma in Children. 3: 152.
- Randhawa I, Pham A, Klaustermeyer W, Yusin J (2014) No Correlation between Beta2-Adrenergic Receptor Polymorphisms and the Severity and Clinical Control of Geriatric Asthma and COPD. J Allergy Ther 5: 196.
- Mincarini M, Rogkakou A, Balbi F, Passalacqua G (2014) Allergen Specific Immunotherapy in Asthma. J Allergy Ther 5: 190.
- Arrigo R, Scichilone N (2014) The Effect of Immunotherapy in Allergic Respiratory Diseases: Reappraisal of Current Knowledge. J Allergy Ther 5: 171.
- Armengot M, Garin L, Peiro T, Milara J, Cortijo J (2014) Eosinophils and Airway Inflammation. 5: 220.
- Hassan WA, Darwish A, Zareh ZA (2014) Impact of Intensive Care Management of Life Threatening Asthma on Feto-Maternal Outcome. J Women’s Health Care 3: 144.
- Mickleborough TD, Lindley MR (2014) The Effect of Combining Fish Oil and Vitamin C on Airway Inflammation and Hyperpnea-Induced Bronchoconstriction in Asthma. J Allergy Ther 5: 184.
- Vieira RP (2012) Has Aerobic Exercise Anti-inflammatory Effects for Asthma? J Nov Physiother 2: e108.
- Prado CM, Righetti RF, Pigati PADS, Possa SS, Santos ASAD (2014) New Pharmacological Targets for Asthma Drug Development. J Allergy Ther 5: 170.
- Avdalovic M, Weiss E, Sylvia C, Quesenberry S, Tyler N, et al. (2013) Airway Vascularity is not Associated with Airway Hyper-responsiveness in a Non-human Primate Model of Asthma. J Allergy Ther 4:149.
- Elmorsy SM, Khafagy YW (2011) Does Asthma and Aspirin Hypersensitivity Affect the Outcome of Endoscopic Sinus Surgery for Chronic Rhinosinusitis with Nasal Polyps. J AllerTher S5: 002.
- Islami H, Krasniqi S, Abdullahu B, Ibrahimi I (2011) Adrenergic Agonist and Antagonist Action in Airways of Patients with Bronchial Asthma. J PulmonarRespirat Med 1:104.