Effect of Thyroid hormones on Glucose Homeostasis
Department of Pharmaceutics, Ratnam Institute of Pharmacy, Nellore, India
- *Corresponding Author:
- Divya A
Department of Pharmaceutics
Ratnam Institute of Pharmacy, Nellore, India
Email: [email protected]
Received date: 13/04/2016; Accepted date: 16/04/2016; Published date: 25/05/2016
Visit for more related articles at Research & Reviews: Journal of Pharmacology and Toxicological Studies
Novel oral anticoagulants, Direct IIa and Xa inhibitors, Naphthoquinone antagonist, Blood vessel occlusion, Fibrillation, New oral anticoagulants, Stroke
Glucose Homeostasis refers to the maintenance of a stable glucose level within the body by balancing insulin and glucagon. In clinical practise, Thyroid hormones influence the Glycolysis and liver function and vice versa. In 1927, Coller and Huggins investigated association of hyperthyroidism can worsen the condition of diabetes [1-20]. Diabetes mellitus and Thyroid dysfunction mutually have a deep underlying relation. Studies have evidenced that complex intertwines chemical, genetic and secretory malfunctions brings ambiguous pathway mechanism [21-50].
According to reports, there is a greatest prevalence of thyroid disorder is in pre-menopausal women. The ratio of thyroid disorder in women to men is 4:1 constitutes 31.4% in female and 6.9% in male. In the late 1970s, Whickham survey conducted within the north of European country disclosed a prevalence of 6.6% of thyroid disorders within the adult general population. Within the NHANES III study, a survey of 17,353 subjects representing the American people, glandular diseases was found in 4.6% and thyrotoxicosis in 1.3% of subjects. The latter additionally ascertained an enhanced frequency of thyroid dysfunction with advancing better prevalence of thyroid disorders in women compared to men and in diabetic subjects compared to non-diabetic [51-70].
Effects Of Non-Insulin Dependent Diabetes Mellitus On Thyroid Disorders
Alterations in hormones of thyroid are delineated in patients with Non-insulin dependent DM. Glandular disease is usually related to worsening glycemic management and exaggerated hypoglycemic agent needs. There’s underlying exaggerated liver gluconeogenesis, fast abdominal glucose absorption, and possibly exaggerated hypoglycemic agent resistance [71-80].
Effects Of Thyroid Hormones On Blood Glucose Regulation
By many mechanisms Thyroid hormones have an effect on Blood glucose regulation. Throughout glandular disease, the half-life of Endocrine hormone is reduced results in raised rate of degradation and thereby enhances unleash of biologically inactive insulin precursors. There is another mechanism explaining the link between thyrotoxicosis and symptoms that increase the sugar level mediate by the surplus thyroid hormones [81-90].
Most of the genes concerned in carbohydrate metabolism are regulated by an active thyroid hormone Triiodothyronine, by exerting its action via binding to the Triiodothyronine receptor. These Triiodothyronine receptors were derived from two separate genes which encode the major T3-binding isoforms TRα1, TRβ1, TRβ2 and TRβ3.The TRα1 is predominantly concerned within the metabolic effects of Endocrine gland [91-100].
It is known fact that diabetic patients with thyrotoxicosis face the results of glycemic management and glandular disorder shown to precipitate diabetic ketoacidosis in persons with high blood sugar levels [15-25].
There is a vivid interdependent interaction between diabetes and endocrine disorders. Failure to recognize the abnormalities in thyroid hormone level in diabetes may be a primary cause of poor management. A scientific approach to thyroid testing in diabetic patients is favourable; but there’s no definitive points relating to screening for the thyroid malfunctioning in diabetic patients.
- Feely J and Isles TE. Screening for thyroid dysfunction in diabetics. British Medical Journal. 1979;1.
- Gray RS et al. Screening for thyroid dysfunction in diabetics British medical journal. 1979;2.
- Papazafiropoulou A.Prevalence of thyroid dysfunction among greek Type 2 diabetic patients attending an outpatient clinic. Journal of Clinical Medicine Research. 2010;2:75–78.
- Radaideh ARM,etal.Thyroid dysfunction in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus in Jordan. Saudi Medical Journal. 2004;25:1046–1050.
- Umpierrez GEet al. Thyroid dysfunction in patients with type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2003 26:1181-1185.
- MirellaHage, et al. AzarThyroid Disorders and Diabetes Mellitus. Journal of Thyroid Research
- Chaoxun Wang.The Relationship between Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus and Related Thyroid Diseases. J Diabetes Res. 2013.
- Bharatet al. Thyroid Status in Diabetes Mellitus. J Glycomics Lipidomics.2013;3:106.
- Kahn RC Catanese VM. Secondary forms of Diabetes mellitus. 1990.
- Becker KL, et al. Principles and practice of endocrinology and metabolism. Philadelphia:JP Lippincott Company.1087-1093.
- Feely J and Isles TE.Screening for thyroid dysfunction in diabetics.Br Med J. 1979;1:1678.
- Hollowell JGet, al. Serum TSH T4 and thyroid antibodies in the United States population 1988 to 1994National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey NHANES III. J Clin Endocrinol Metab.2002;87:489-499.
- Perros P,et al. Frequency of thyroid dysfunction in diabetic patients:value of annual screening. Diabet Med.1995;12:622-627.
- Papazafiropoulou A, et al. Prevalence of thyroid dysfunction among greek type 2 diabetic patients attending an outpatient clinic. J Clin Med Res. 2010;2:75-78.
- Akbar DH, et al. Thyroid dysfunction and thyroid autoimmunity in Saudi type 2 diabetics. ActaDiabetol. 2006 43:14-18.
- Radaideh AR, et al.Thyroid dysfunction in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus in Jordan. Saudi Med J. 2004 25:1046-1050.
- Kordonouri O, et al.GADA positivity at onset of type 1 diabetes is a risk factor for the development of autoimmune thyroiditis. Pediatr Diabetes. 2011;12:31-33.
- Granner DK.Thyroid hormones. In Murray RK Granner DK Mayes PA RodwellVW. Edh Harpers Biochemistry 25th edn London Prentice Hall International Inc. 2000;12:533-538
- Shah SN. Thyroid disease in diabetes mellitus. J Assoc Physicians India. 2007;32:1057-1059.
- Trinder P. Determination of glucose in blood using glucose oxidase with an alternative oxygen acceptor. Ann Clin Biochem.1969;6:24-27.
- Hopton MR, et al. Immunoradiometric assay of thyrotropin as a "first-line" thyroid-function test in the routine laboratory. Clin Chem. 1986;32:691-693.
- Bharat et al. Thyroid Status in Diabetes Mellitus. J GlycomicsLipidomics. 2013;3:106.
- Abbott DW.Informed Carbohydrate Active Enzyme Discovery within the Human Distal Gut Microbiome. J GlycomicsLipidomics. 2014;4:119.
- Sindhu S, et al. Increased Adipose Tissue Expression of Toll-Like Receptor TLR-7 in Obese Individuals:Significance in Metabolic Disease. J GlycomicsLipidomics. 2015;5:136.
- Hernando VU, et al. Role of Thyroid Hormones in Different Aspects of Cardiovascular System. Endocrinol Metab Synd. 2015;4:166.
- Ouyang J, et al. Involvement of Amp Kinase in Glucose Uptake and Palmitate Oxidation in L6 Muscle Cell Cultures. Metabolomics. 2014;4:133.
- Saith SE,et al. All-cause Mortality of High-normal Random Blood Glucose using Basic Demographics. J Cardiovasc Dis Diagn. 2016;4:248.
- Israt AH, et al. Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease and its association with Insulin Resistance:A Study from Bangladeshi Newly Diagnosed Impaired Glucose Tolerance Subjects. J Diabetes Metab. 2016;7:688.
- Bouskila M,et al. Insulin promotes glycogen synthesis in the absence of GSK3 phosphorylation in skeletal muscle. Am J PhysiolEndocrinol Metab.2007;294:28-35.
- Wong E,et al. Diabetes and risk of physical disability in adults:A systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol.2013;1:106-114.
- Retnakaran R, et al. Risk factors for renal dysfunction in type 2;diabetes:U.K. Prospective;Diabetes;Study 74. Diabetes.2006;55:1832-1839.
- Johnson TO,et al. Protein tyrosine phosphatase 1B inhibitors for diabetes. Nat Rev Drug Discov.2002;1:696-709.
- Kitamura S, et al. Effect of Glucose Administration on the Metabolism during Surgery. J Diabetes Metab. 2016;7:679.
- Bermúdez V, et al. Prevalence and Risk Factors associated with Impaired Fasting Glucose in Adults from Maracaibo City Venezuela. J Diabetes Metab. 2016;7:683.
- Pierzynowski SG, et al. Enteral Pancreatic-like Enzymes of Microbial Origin affect Insulin Release during an Intravenous Glucose Tolerance Test. J Diabetes Metab. 2016;7:681.
- Fukuda T, et al. Glucose- Regulated Protein 78:A Novel Therapeutic Target for Amelogenin-Induced Periodontal Tissue Regeneration. Single Cell Biol. 2016;5:137.
- Qui Q, et al. Serum Uric Acid Hemoglobin A1c Glucose Metabolism Abnormalities and Early Stage Atherosclerosis in Chinese Adults-The Cardiometabolic Risk in Chinese CRC Study. J Hypertens. 2016;5:221.
- Emamuzo ED, et al. Single Adult-human Equivalent Dose of Intramuscular Chloroquine did not Lower Blood Glucose Level in Fasted Wistar Rats. Clin ExpPharmacol. 2016; 6:213.
- Ogura Y,et al. Successful Resection of a MediastinalNonseminomatous Germ Cell Tumor Who’s Response to Induction Chemotherapy was Evaluated by Fluorodeoxyglucose-Positron Emission Tomography. J Clin Case Rep. 2016;6:758.
- Kirk JK, et al. The Role of Real-Time Glucose Monitoring. J Diabetes Metab. 2016;7:663.
- Kamal T and Khan MU.The Impact of Chemical Preservatives and Antioxidant on Pear Glucose Bar. J Exp Food Chem. 2016;2:109.
- Kanamori R, et al. Hypoglycemia in Laparoscopic Colectomy with Remifentanil Use and Preoperative Intravenous Glucose Infusion:A Prospective Randomized Single-Blind Controlled Trial. J Anesth Clin Res. 2016;7:608.
- Wong SN, et al. A Review on the Clinical Impact of Point of Care Capillary Blood Glucose Measurement in Diabetes Patients in Public Primary Care Clinics in Hong Kong. J Clin Diabetes Pract. 2016;1:105.
- Kamanin SS, et al. Enzyme-Modified Screen-Printed Electrodes for Assaying Glucose Ethanol Lactate and Starch in Fermentation Media. Ferment Technol. 2016;5:128.
- Cen J, et al. Study on the Features of Coronary Artery Atheromatous Plaque for Patients with Impaired Glucose Tolerance when Applying Intravascular Ultrasound. Cardiovasc Pharm Open Access. 2016;5:177.
- Krummel DA,et al. Effect of Docosahexaenoic Acid Supplementation on Glucose Tolerance and Markers of Inflammation in Overweight/Obese Pregnant Women:A Double-blind Randomized Controlled Trial. J Preg Child Health. 2016;2:212.
- Seang S,et al. Oral Glucose Tolerance Testing identifies HIV+ infected women with Diabetes Mellitus DM not captured by standard DM definition. J AIDS Clin Res. 2016;7:545.
- Takao T, et al. Different Glycemic Responses to Sucrose and Glucose in Old and Young Male Adults. J Nutr Food Sci. 2016;6:460.
- Skuja I, et al.Chemerin Relationship with Glucose and Lipid Metabolism in Clinically Asymptomatic Patients. Fam Med MedSci Res. 2015;5:193.
- Ng AXH, et al. Low-dose Insulin Treatment Ameliorate Glucose Metabolism in Type 1 Diabetic Rats. J Diabetes Metab. 2016;7:635.
- Mata MJA,et al. Dyslipidemia and Fasting Glucose Impairment among HIV-Infected Patients 48-Weeks after the First Antiretroviral Regimen. J AIDS Clin Res. 2015;6:533.
- Carter LG, et al. Exercise Improves Glucose Disposal and Insulin Signaling in Pregnant Mice Fed a High Fat Diet. J Diabetes Metab. 2015;6:634.
- Al Ani AH, Glucose and the Gut:A Case Report of Acute Gastric Dilatation in Type I Diabetes Mellitus. J Gastrointest Dig Syst. 2015;5:367.
- Al Ketbi LMB et al. Blood Glucose Levels and Pregnancy Outcome in a High-risk Population. J Women’s Health Care. 2015;4:289.
- Gomez PF,et al. Glycemic Control and Hospital Admission Risk in Type 1 Diabetes is Related to the Use of Carbohydrate Counting and Frequency of Self-Monitoring of Blood Glucose:RSD1 Study. J Diabetes Metab.2015;6:628.
- Mueller BB. The Treatment of Down SyndromeTrisomie 21 with Acupuncture. J HomeopAyurv Med. 2015;4:181.
- Guterbaum TJ,et al. H2O2 Treatment of HUVECs Facilitates PKC Mediated Thr495 Phosphorylation on eNOS when Pre-treated with High Glucose Levels. J Metabolic Synd. 2015;4:189.
- Alwahsh SM and Ramadori G. How Does Bariatric Surgery Improve Type II Diabetes? The ‘‘Neglected’’ Importance of the Liver in Clearing Glucose and Insulin from the Portal Blood. J Obes Weight Loss Ther. 2015;5:280.
- Aoki Y. Surprising Results of the EMPA-REG OUTCOME Study have brought a New Insight into Use of Sodium-Glucose Cotransporter 2 Inhibitors in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes. Trop Med Surg. 2015;3:199.
- Abdirahman YA,etal.Blood Glucose Lowering Effect and Safety of the Aqueous Leaf Extracts of Zanhaafricana. Pharm Anal Acta. 2015;6:422.
- De Ciriza CP, et al. OPG Expression on Endothelial Cells and Modulation by IL-1B PDGF Insulin and Glucose. Biochem Physiol. 2015;4:179.
- Shih CY, et al. A Study of Rotational Ultrafiltration System for Fructose Recovery from Glucose Fermentation Process. J Food Process Technol. 2015;6:494.
- Slaughter G and Kulkarni T. Enzymatic Glucose Biofuel Cell and its Application. J Biochip Tissue Chip. 2015;5:110.
- Desai T and Srivastava S. Constraints-Based Modeling to Identify Gene Targets for Overproduction of Ethanol by Escherichia coli:The Effect of Glucose Phosphorylation Reaction. Metabolomics. 2015;5:145.
- Skinner JS, et al. Associations between Markers of Glucose and Insulin Function and Cognitive Function in Healthy African American Elders. J GerontolGeriat Res. 2015;4:232.
- Hiligsmann S, et al. Impact of Different Plant Secondary Metabolites Addition:Saponin Tannic Acid Salicin and Aloin an Glucose Anaerobic Co-Digestion. Ferment Technol. 2015;4:113.
- Shakoor A,et al. Effect of Different Levels of Sucrose-Glucose Mixture on Overall Quality of Guava Bar. J Food Process Technol. 2015;6:469.
- Palai G,et al. Optimization of Microstructure Optical Fiber using PWE Method for Investigation of Glucose in Intralipid. J Laser Opt Photonics. 2015;2:117.
- Ababio GK,et al. Self – Control Tasks Depend on Glucose Levels in Students Biochem Anal Biochem. 2015;4:192.
- Srivastava SK andAbdulhalim I.Spectral Interrogation based SPR Sensor for blood Glucose Detection with Improved Sensitivity and Stability. J BiosensBioelectron. 2015;6:172.
- Tabah B, et al. Study on Fermentation Kinetics for Accelerated Production of Bioethanol from Glucose Sucrose and Molasses. J Bioprocess Biotech. 2015;5:232.
- Hafizur RM. Coixol Exerts an Exclusive Glucose-dependent Insulinotropic Effect in ßTC-6 Cells. J CytolHistol. 2015;6:i109.
- Al-Agha AE, et al. The Impact of Self Blood Glucose Monitoring and Insulin Regimen on Glycemic Control among Children and Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus. J Diabetes Metab. 2015;6:548.
- Dicker D, et al. The Efficacy of Standardized Electronic Insulin Orders In Controlling Blood Glucose Levels In Internal Medicine Departments. J Diabetes Metab. 2015;6:538.
- Sethi S, et al. Comprehensive SNP Analysis of Genes in Cholestrol Metabolism PGC 1 AlphaInsulin Signaling IRS1 Potassium Channel KCNJ11 and Glucose HomeostasisPI3K in Three Diversified Groups. J Diabetes Metab. 2015;6:531.
- Kunos CA and Shanahan JP. 2-[18F]Fluoro-2-Deoxy-D-Glucose Positron Emission Tomography Definition of Lung Targets in Vero Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy Workflow. J Nucl Med RadiatTher. 2015;6:227.
- Silvestri F, et al. Glucose-6-Phosphate Dehydrogenase Deficiency Unmasked by Hyperglycemia. PediatTherapeut. 2015;5:240.
- Oronsky BT,et al. A Review of Two Promising Radiosensitizers in Brain Metastases:Rrx-001 and 2-Deoxyglucose. J Cancer SciTher. 2015;07:137-141.
- Mushtaq G, et al. Impaired Glucose Metabolism in Alzheimer’s Disease and Diabetes. Enz Eng. 2014;4:124.
- Cho SK. The Synergistic Effects of Pioglitazone on the Glucose-Lowering Action of Metformin in Relation to OCT1 and Gluts m-RNA Expression in Healthy Volunteer. Clin PharmacolBiopharm. 2015;3:129.
- Hukic DSet al. Genes Associated with Increased Fasting Glucose in Patients with Schizophrenia Spectrum Disorders. J Diabetes Metab. 2015;6:512.
- Rivers KL, et al. Comparison between the Oral Glucose Tolerance Test and the Hba1c Assay for Detecting Impaired Glucose Regulation in Bahamian Adolescents. J Diabetes Metab. 2015;6:511.
- Tacyildiz N,et al. Assessment of Sorafenib and AntiVEGF Combination Therapy Response which Added to Neoadjuvant Therapy in two Pediatric Metastatic Ewing Sarcoma Patients by Fluorine-18 Fluorodeoxyglucose Positron Emission Tomography 18F-PET Method:It may Determine the Prognosis. J Nucl Med RadiatTher. 2015;6:212.
- Furutani E. Recent Trends in Blood Glucose Control Studies. Automat Control Physiol State Func. 2015;2:106.
- Fonville S,et al. Newly-Diagnosed Disturbed Glucose Metabolism is Associated with Atherosclerosis in Patients with Transient Ischemic Attack or Ischemic Stroke. J Diabetes Metab. 2015;6:496.
- Patil DP, et al. Diagnostic Efficacy of Gingival Crevicular Blood for Assessment of Blood Glucose Levels in Dental Office:A cross Sectional Study. Oral Hyg Health. 2014;2:166.
- Abdelaal HM and Harbrecht B. Template-Assisted Synthesis of Metal Oxide Hollow Spheres Utilizing Glucose Derived-Carbonaceous Spheres As Sacrificial Templates. J AdvChem Eng. 2014;5:116.
- Wu CY, et al. Using Glucose-bound Fe3O4 Magnetic Nanoparticles as Photothermal Agents for Targeted Hyperthermia of Cancer Cells. J NanomedNanotechnol. 2015;6:264.
- Mpora OB,et al. Glucose Addiction and Glycemic Control in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus:A Case Report. Endocrinol Metab Synd. 2014;3:150.
- Ewing GW. The Framework of a Mathematical Model of the Autonomic Nervous System and Physiological Systems:Using the Neuroregulation of Blood Glucose as an Example. J ComputSciSyst Biol. 2015;8:059-073.
- Perard RE and Orme ME. A Discrete Choice Experiment to Evaluate Blood Glucose Meter Preferences in People with Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes in the UK. Intern Med. 2014;S6:008.
- Arikawa M, et al. Donepezil Therapeutic Acetylcholinesterase Inhibitor Prevents the Progression of Ventricular Dysfunction by Promoting Myocardial Glucose Utilization in Rat Model of Chronic Heart Failure Following Myocardial Infarction. CardiolPharmacol. 2014;3:121.
- Kjøllesdal MKR, et al. Blood Glucose Measured at Several Time Points and Correlation with Incremental Area under the Curve. J Nutr Food Sci. 2014;4:315.
- Shenoy N,et al. Impaired Glucose Tolerance and its Association to Oral Cancer. Oral Hyg Health. 2014;2:151.
- Arefhosseini SR, et al. MicroRNAs Regulation by Nutrients the New Ray of Hope in Obesity Related Glucose and Lipid Metabolic Disorders. J Metabolic Synd. 2014;4:158.
- Bielecka AM and Obuchowicz E. Chronic Physiological Hypoxia and High Glucose Concentration Promote Resistance of T98G Glioblastoma Cell Line to Temozolomide. Drug Des. 2014;3:117.
- Taylor KM,et al. S6 Kinase 2 Deficiency Improves Glucose Disposal in Mice Fed a High Fat Diet. J Diabetes Metab. 2014 ;5:441
- Biro S,et al. A Comparative Study of Olmesartan and Valsartan on Insulin Sensitivity in Hypertensive Patients with Diabetes Mellitus or Impaired Glucose Tolerance OVIS Study. Clin PharmacolBiopharm. 2014;3:118.
- Guerrero M, et al. Radiobiological Modeling Based on 18F-Fluorodeoxyglucose Positron Emission Tomography Data for Esophageal Cancer. J Nucl Med RadiatTher. 2014;5:190.
- De Marsilis AJ,et al. Elastin Insufficiency Predisposes Mice to Impaired Glucose Metabolism. J Mol Genet Med. 2014;8:129.