Dr Vrushali H. Jadhav has received his Ph.D in Chemistry from Department of chemistry, , University of Pune, India during the period of 2002-2004. Currently, she is scientist at Department of Organic Chemistry, National Chemical Laboratory, Pune, India. She is specialist in Organic Chemistry .
Awards and Fellowships
1. INSPIRE Faculty Awardee from the Department of Science and Technology, Delhi.
2. FAST Track Award for Young Scientist by Department of Science and Technology.
3. Have been awarded a research grant of Rs 35 lakhs from DST under the INSPIRE Faculty Scheme.
4. Have been granted a research funding of Twenty one lakhs under the FAST Track Scheme for young scientist.
5. Post Doctoral Research Fellowship at Department of Chemistry, University of Copenhagen, Denmark (Nov 2009 to Nov 2011).
6. Qualified CSIR-UGC National Eligibility Test (NET) and was awarded the Junior Research Fellowship for Ph.D.
7. Qualified State Eligibility Test (SET) in Universities and Colleges, for eligibility of the lecturership.
8. Topper in the Department of Chemistry, University of Pune with Outstanding grade during M.Sc 2004.
9. Best Project Presentation award during M.Sc. 2004 in Organic Chemistry instituted by PUCHEM-92.
Professional training and Research experience:
Currently leading a small research group at NCL, Pune and working in the field of carbohydrate chemistry, synthesis, synthetic methodologies and biofuels. • Three publications as a corresponding author.
A Post doctoral fellow in the group of Prof. Mikael Bols, Head, Department of Chemistry, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark from Nov 2009 to Nov 2011.
Modified Cellulose was synthesized and kinetics of its hydrolysis was studied and further utilized in the synthesis of biofuels.
Variety of oligosaccharide was synthesized using glycosylation reactions as key steps.
C-1 alkylated iminosugars and fluoroiminosugars were synthesized and studied for their pKa and biological activity.
One paper out of this work and one more is expected soon.
CSIR- UGC Research Fellow for Ph.D: Five years of doctoral research training in Synthetic Carbohydrate Chemistry under the guidance of Prof. Dilip D. Dhavale, Department of Chemistry, University of Pune (Nov 2004 to Nov 2009).
Synthesis of variety of polyhydroxylated five, six and seven membered iminosugars and studies of their biological activity.
Development of synthetic methodologies.
Co-mentored 6 M.Sc students.
Seven Publications from this research work.
Presented several research papers and taught some topics to the M.Sc students in the Department.
Extensive use of advanced techniques like NMR, Ion exchange chromatography, HPLC etc.
M.Sc Project: 1. Summer project carried out at the National Chemical Laboratory in March-June 2003 under the supervision of Dr. Ganesh Pandey entitled “Convergent Approach toward the Synthesis of the Stereoisomers of C-6 Homologues of 1-Deoxynojirimycin and Their Analogues: Evaluation as Specific Glycosidase Inhibitors”. 2. M.Sc. project carried out at the National Chemical Laboratory from Jan-May 2004 under the supervision of Dr. N P. Argade entitled “A Facile Synthesis and Enzymatic Resolution of Naturally Occurring Remotely Functionalized Alkyl Methyl Maleic Anhydrides from Aspergillus Wentii: Aspergillus acids A-D ”.
Introduction to the field of synthesis of natural products.
Learnt techniques of column chromatography, crystallization, distillation, handling of various chemicals.
Characterization of the analytical data.
Maintaining laboratory journals and writing reports.
Application of carbohydrates in developing alternative fuels.
Synthesis of value added chemicals from biomass.
Synthesis of bioactive natural products.
Development of valuable synthetic methodologies.