Commentary on ?Acute Pancreatitis as Initial Demonstration of Drug- induced Vasculitis?
Divya Jyothi Uppari*
Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Hyderabad, Telangana 500085, India
- *Corresponding Author:
- Divya Jyothi Uppari
Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University
Hyderabad, Telangana 500085, India
Received: 08/05/2015 Accepted: 04/06/2015
Visit for more related articles at Research & Reviews: Journal of Medical and Health Sciences
Acute Pancreatitis, Drugs, Pancreas
Researchers read with a great deal of interest the article ‘Acute Pancreatitis as Initial Presentation of Cocaine-Induced Vasculitis’ by Ogunbameru et al.  published in the March 2015 edition of JOP. Journal of the Pancreas. We appreciate the authors’ valuable contributions towards establishing the accuracy and presentation of cocaine-induced vasculitis.
The authors described a case of patient with acute pancreatitis and vasculitis induced with levamisole-contaminated cocaine. The patient admitted to drinking whiskey daily and urine toxicology was positive for cocaine and marijuana. After acute pancreatitis the patient developed acute renal failure and pauci-immune necrotizing glomerulonephritis was found on biopsy. Patient’s history had shown acute pancreatitis of alcoholic etiology (probably additionally precipitated by cocaine and marijuana) and that is a common cause of acute pancreatitis.
Pauci-immune glomerulonephritis caused by levamisole has been already described and is well known at the field of nephrology. In introduction and discussion, authors cited literature of Wegener's granulomatosis, Churg-Strauss syndome etc. but in their biopsy there were no signs of mentioned diseases.
Authors presented an interesting which coincides with everyday clinical practice but there was no new information available in this case report. Authors reported that the therapeutic efforts were concentrated on the resolution of the kidney failure and presentation of the mild pancreatitis could be concomitant diagnosis, especially if consider positive effect from corticosteroid treatment.
- Ogunbameru A et al. Acute pancreatitis as initial presentation of cocaine-induced vasculitis: a case report. JOP 2015; 16:192-194.
- Serpytis M et al. Hypertriglyceridemia-induced acute pancreatitis in pregnancy. JOP 2012; 13: 677-680.
- Arana-Guajardo AC et al. Wernicke encephalopathy presenting in a patient with severe acute pancreatitis. JOP 2012; 13:104-107.
- Chawla S et al. Acute Pancreatitis as a rare initial manifestation of Wegener’s granulomatosis. A case based literature review. JOP. J Pancreas 2011; 12: 167-169.
- Barreto SG et al. Drug-induced acute pancreatitis in a cohort of 328 patients. A single-centre experience from Australia. JOP 2011; 12:581-585.
- Talamini G et al. Chronic Pancreatitis: Relationship to Acute Pancreatitis and Pancreatic Cancer. JOP. J Pancreas 2000; 1: 69-76.
- Pezzilli R et al. Clinical Usefulness of the Serum Carboxypeptidase B Activation Peptide in Acute Pancreatitis. JOP. J Pancreas 2000; 1: 58-68.
- Frossard JL et al. Early Prediction in Acute Pancreatitis: the Contribution of Amylase and Lipase Levels in Peritoneal Fluid. JOP. J Pancreas 2000; 1:36-45.
- Sargen K et al. Cytokine Gene Polymorphisms in Acute Pancreatitis. JOP. J Pancreas 2000; 1:24-35.
- Angst E et al. Modern Surgical Concepts in the Treatment of Severe Acute Pancreatitis– An Individualized Approach to the Patient. Pancreat Disord Ther 2013; 3:125.
- Turner R. Acute Pancreatitis is a Chronic Disease. Pancreatic Dis Ther 2013; 3: 118.
- Yang Cai et al. Does MSC Transplantation Ameliorate Severe Acute Pancreatitis in Rats? J Gastrointest Dig Syst 2013; 3: 132.
- Pezzilli R. Fluid Replacement Strategy in Severe Acute Pancreatitis. Pancreat Disorders Ther 2013; S2: 001.
- Gogineni VK et al. Probiotics: Mechanisms of Action and Clinical Applications. J Prob Health 2013; 1: 101.
- Robles L et al. Role of Oxidative Stress in the Pathogenesis of Pancreatitis: Effect of Antioxidant Therapy. Pancreat Disorders Ther 2013; 3:112.
- Wang YX et al. Effect of Angiopoietin-Like Protein 4 on Severe Acute Pancreatitis-induced Lung Injury in Rats. J Clin Cell Immunol 2013; 4:135.
- Pezzilli R. Pancreatic Diseases: The Need to Assess the Quality of Life. Pancreat Disorders Ther 2012; 2:107.
- Kahramansoy N et al. The Effect of Erythropoietin on Intestinal Damage Developed Secondary to Experimental Acute Pancreatitis. Pancreat Disorders Ther 2012; 2:106.
- Goral V et al. Correlation of Disease Activity, IL-6 & CRP Levels and Leukocytes/Lymphocyte Ratio Among Patients with Acute Pancreatitis. J Gastrointest Dig Syst 2012; 2:112.
- Pezzilli R et al. Cardiovascular Alterations Associated with Acute Pancreatitis. Pancreat Disorders Ther 2012; 2:e118.
- Ryan W and Sachin D. Drug Induced Ototoxicity. Clin Exp Pharmacol 2014; 4:e132.
- Usha K et al. Predictors of Drug Induced Hepatotoxicity in Tuberculous Meningitis. J Neuroinfect Dis 2014; 5:146.
- Singh S. Drug Induced Pancreatitis Might Be a Class Effect of Statin Drugs. JOP; 20005; 6:380.
- Antonopoulos S et al. A case of acute pancreatitis possibly associated with combined salicylate and simvastatin treatment. JOP 2005; 6:264-268.
- Logani MK et al. Millimeter Wave and Drug Induced Modulation of the Immune System -Application in Cancer Immunotherapy. J Cell Sci Ther 2011; S5:002.