Gastrointestinal Disease Treatment: A Brief Discussion
Department of Biotechnology, Majhighariani Institute of Technology and Science, Orissa, India
- *Corresponding Author:
- Neha Anand
Department of Biotechnology
Majhighariani Institute of Technology and Science
Received: 06/05/2015 Accepted: 21/05/2015 Published: 06/06/2015
Visit for more related articles at Research & Reviews: Journal of Medical and Health Sciences
Gastrointestinal, Oesophageal, Endoscopic, Treatment, Cancer
Gastroenterology is the branch of medicine which deals with the disease related to stomach and intestines, which includes small intestine, large intestine, oesophagus, liver, pancreas, gallbladder, gastrointestinal tract etc. Some common gastrointestinal conditions are acid reflux, indigestion, diarrhoea, irritable bowel syndrome, rectal problems in women, gallstones, peptic ulcer disease etc. Aldosterone is the only hormone which is secreted outside the gastrointestinal tract but participating in some function of gastrointestinal tract .
Common Gastrointestinal Disease:
• Oral disease
Ex: Gastro esophageal reflux disease 
• Oesophageal disease
Ex: Barrett’s esophagus 
• Gastric disease
Ex: Gastric Cancer 
Colorectal cancer 
Rectal cancer 
Early gastric cancer (EGC) 
• Intestinal disease
• Accessory digestive and gland disease
Ex: Chronic Liver Disease 
Liver Biopsy 
Some Gastrointestinal Diseases and their Treatment:
• Endoscopic screening is used for treatment of colorectal cancer and stomach cancer . Along with this fecal miRNAS is used as a biomarker for the detection of colorectal cancer . And several colonoscopies are also performed for screening and prevention of colorectal cancer 
• Hepatic Metastases is diagnosed from Neuroendocrine Carcinomas .
• Chronic pancreatitis (CP) which is damage of engenders fibrosis and necrosis of the pancreatic tissue, with the loss of endocrine and exocrine function of the pancreas . Endosonographic Diagnosis is used for treatment of CP.
• The Duodenal-Jejunal Bypass Liner promotes weight loss, reduction of body mass index and waist circumference along with this it improves the control of glucose, glycosylated hemoglobin, insulin, and C-peptide levels throughout 24 weeks which control type2 diabetes .
• Colorectal cancer is one of the three leading causes of death . Immunotherapy is one of the therapies used for human colorectal cancer .
• There are 5 loci for gastric cancer susceptibility is detected by Genome-Wide Association Studies (GWAS) by supporting detection power with larger case-control sets . Gastric patients with liver metastasis are treated effectively by HAI, system chemotherapy, gastrectomy and hepatectomy . Along with this after gastrostomy there is a need for the treatment of vitamin B12 deficiency . Raman Endoscopy is used for diagnosis of cancer in the Gastrointestinal System .
• Inflammatory Bowel Disease is also a major persistent disease . There is an increased risk of colorectal cancer in IBD . This increased risk is due to time of disease, age of onset of IBD, increase of affected colon, etc . Salmonella and thermophilic Campylobacter are bacteria play a major role in aeitology of IBD .
This content of the article is scrutinized and approved by M. Murali and written by Neha Anand.
- Sayegh AI, Washington MC. Back to Basics: Regulation of the Gastrointestinal Functions. J Gastroint Dig Syst. 2012;2:118.
- Coca - Pelaz A, et al. Diagnosis and Treatment of Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease. J Gastroint Dig Syst. 2013;S3:e001.
- Bacchetti S, Pasqual EM, Rinaldo A, Ferlito A. Current Advances in Diagnosis of Hepatic Metastases from Neuroendocrine Carcinomas. J Gastroint Dig Syst. 2013;S2: e001.
- Sakakushev BE. Enhanced Recovery after Surgery for Gastric Cancer. J Gastrointest Dig Syst. 2013;S12:003.
- Hopp RN, Lima NCDS, Filho MS, Filho JLF, Jorge J Digit Ratio is Associated with Colorectal Cancer. J Gastrointest Dig Syst. 2015;5:253.
- Byrne C, et al. Predicting Risk of Anastomotic Leak in Patients Undergoing NeoadjuvantRadiotherapy and Low Anterior Resection for Rectal Cancer. J Gastrointest Dig Syst. 2015;5:255.
- Lambert R. Role of Endoscopy in Screening and Treatment of Gastrointestinal Cancer. J Gastroint Dig Syst. 2013;S2:006.
- Huynh D, Nguyen NQ. Gastrointestinal Dysfunction in Chronic Liver Disease. J Gastroint Dig Syst. 2015;5:257.
- Georgin-Lavialle S, et al.Haemobilia Following Percutaneous Liver Biopsy. J Gastroint Dig Syst. 2014;4:i101.
- Trakál E, et al. Squamous Cell Carcinoma in Barrett’s Esophagus. J Gastroint Dig Syst. 2013;S12:018.
- Yamabe A, et al. Endosonographic Diagnosis of Chronic Pancreatitis. J Gastroint DigSyst. 2013;S2:005.
- Yung-Bin K, Err-Cheng C, Jinn-Shiun C, Fa-kuen S. Fecal miRNAS as Biomarkers for the Detection of Colorectal Cancer. J Gastroint Dig Syst. 2013;S12:016.
- Niv Y. Quality Assurance and Risk Management in Gastroenterology. J Gastroint Dig Syst.2012;2:e110.
- De Moura EGH, et al. Six Months Results of the Duodenal-Jejunal Bypass Liner for the Treatment of Obesity and Type 2 Diabetes. J Gastroint Dig Syst. 2012;S2:003.
- Mateka JJL,Haniff MM, Bainey RS, Iliou CB. Interesting Trends In Incidence and Mortality Rates of Colorectal Cancer in the UnitedStates of America. J Gastroint Dig Syst.2013;S6:004.
- Iascone C, Vallerani D (2013) Early Gastric Cancer: An Overview and Future Perspective. J Gastroint Dig Syst S12:013.
- Ogawa T, Hirohashi Y, Torigoe T, Sato N, Hirata K. Immunotherapy Targeting Cancer Stem Cells of Human Colorectal Cancer. J Gastroint Dig Syst. 2013;S12:014.
- Ono H, Saeki N. Five Gastric Cancer-Susceptibility Loci Identified by Genome-Wide Association Studies. J Gastroint Dig Syst. 2013;S12:015.
- Aoyagi K, et al. A Study of Gastric Cancer Cases with Liver Metastasis. J Gastroint Dig Syst.2013;S12:017.
- Rino Y, Yukawa N. Vitamin A, D, and E after Gastrectomy forGastric Cancer. J Gastroint Dig Syst. 2013;S12:009.
- Bergholt MS, Zheng W, Ho KY, Yeoh KG, Huang Z. Raman Endoscopy for Objective Diagnosis of Early Cancer in the Gastrointestinal System. J Gastroint Dig Syst. 2013;S1:008.
- Nair PP, et al. Markersof Inflammation and Lineage on Exfoliated Colonic Cells In Pediatric Inflammatory Bowel Disease. J Gastroint Dig Syst. 2011;S8:001.
- Vu M, Chang JY, Chen J, Shih DQ. Inflammatory Bowel DiseaseAssociated Colorectal Neoplasia. J Gastroint Dig Syst. 2012;S8:002.
- Denizot J,Dreux N, Michaud AD, Barnich N. Importance of Bacteria as Trigger in Inflammatory Bowel Disease. J Gastroint Dig Syst. 2012;S8:003.
- Jones R, Scobey M, Cheng J. The Risk of Colon Cancer in Inflammatory Bowel Disease. J Gastroint Dig Syst. 2014;4:164.