Silver Nanoparticles, Properties, Synthesis & Applications
Department of Pharmaceutics, Vignan Institute of pharmaceutical Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru technological University, Deshmukhi, Nalgonda, Telangana, India
- Corresponding Author:
- Pratibha Muntha
Department of Pharmaceutics
Vignan Institute of pharmaceutical Sciences
Jawaharlal Nehru technological University
Deshmukhi, Nalgonda, Telangana, India
E-mail: [email protected]
Received: 06/08/2014; Revised: 24/09/2014; Accepted: 29/09/2014
Visit for more related articles at Research & Reviews in Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
Nanomedicine is an emerging field of science which uses the applications of nanotechnology in the prevention and treatment of diseases in human body. Nanosize is one-billionth of a meter i.e. 10-9. It involves scientists from different fields including physicists, chemists, engineers and biologists. Silver nanoparticles (Ag-NPs) are now widely studied nanoparticles due to their antimicrobial and antiviral activities and their uses consumer products including electronics, paint, clothing, food and medical devices. The diverse applications of silver nanoparticles is due to their characteristic properties of magnetic and optical polarization, catalysis, electrical conductivity, antimicrobial properties, DNA sequencing and surface-enhanced Raman scattering
Silver Nanoparticles, Nanomedicine, Synthesis, UV-Vis spectroscopy, Antifungal Efficacy
Nanomedicine is an emerging field of science which uses the applications of nanotechnology in the prevention and treatment of diseases in human body . Nanosize is one-billionth of a meter i.e. 10-9 . It involves scientists from different fields including physicists, chemists, engineers and biologists . Nanoparticles made of metals like that of gold and silver have gained importance due to their applications in the fields of electronics, material sciences and medicines [4-6].
Silver nanoparticles (Ag-NPs) are now widely studied nanoparticles due to their antimicrobial and antiviral activities and their uses consumer products including electronics, paint, clothing, food and medical devices .
The diverse applications of silver nanoparticles is due to their characteristic properties of magnetic and optical polarization, catalysis, electrical conductivity, antimicrobial properties, DNA sequencing and surface-enhanced Raman scattering 
Types of Silver Nanoparticles
• Silver colloids 
• Custom silver
• Silver nanoparticles
Synthesis of Silver Nanoparticles
Several techniques are employed in the synthesis of silver nanoparticles
1. Phyto assisted synthesis of silver nanoparticles: Usage of plants for the synthesis of silver nanoparticles is gaining importance to reduce the toxic effects caused due to physical and chemical agents used for their synthesis [10-14]
2. Silver nanoparticles are also synthesized from bacteria, fungi and yeast [15-16]
3. Silver nanoparticles are also synthesized using fruit juices as reducing and capping agents 
Characterization of Silver Nanoparticles
There are various characterization techniques of silver nanoparticles 
UV-Vis spectroscopy analysis
FTIR analysis of Ag-NPs
SEM analysis of Ag-NPs
TEM analysis of Ag-NPs
Applications of Silver Nanoparticles in Various Areas of Sciences
Use of silver nanoparticles in the treatment of HIV/Aids is a tremendous achievement in the field of medical sciences 
Building materials with silver nanoparticles with Antifungal Efficacy helps in preventing biocorrosion of construction materials is caused by bacteria and microscopic fungi 
Silver Nanoparticles enriched with antimicrobial efficiency are used against many drug resistant strains [21-24]
Silver nanoparticles are also employed in many enzymatic reactions such as between Horseradish Peroxidase and 3,3',5,5'-Tetramethylbenzidine 
This content of the article is scrutinized and approved by M. Murali and written by Pratibha Muntha
- Naga Anusha P and Siddiqui A. Nanomedical Platform for Drug Delivery. J NanomedicNanotechnol. 2011;2:122.
- Omprakash V and Sharada S. Synthesis and Characterization of Silver Nanoparticles and Evaluation of their Antibacterial Activity using Elettaria Cardamom Seeds. J NanomedNanotechnol. 2015;6:266.
- Saklani V and Suman. Jain VKMicrobial Synthesis of Silver Nanoparticles: A Review. J Biotechnol Biomaterial. 2012;S13:007.
- Banu A and Rathod V. Biosynthesis of Monodispersed Silver Nanoparticles and their Activity against Mycobacterium tuberculosis. J NanomedBiotherapeutDiscov. 2013;3:110.
- Trivedi P, Khandelwal M, Srivastava P. Statistically Optimized Synthesis of Silver Nanocubes from Peel Extracts of Citrus limetta and Potential Application in Waste Water Treatment. J MicrobBiochem Technol. 2014;S4:004.
- Das P, McDonald JAK, Petrof EO, Allen-Vercoe E, Walker VK. Nanosilver-Mediated Change in Human Intestinal Microbiota. J NanomedNanotechnol. 2014;5:235.
- Cramer S et al. The Influence of Silver Nanoparticles on the Blood-Brain and the Blood-Cerebrospinal Fluid Barrier in vitro. J NanomedNanotechnol. 2014;5:225.
- Rosarin FS and Mirunalini S. Nobel Metallic Nanoparticles with Novel Biomedical Properties. J Bioanal Biomed. 2011;3:085-091.
- Zheng J, Clogston JD, Patri AK, Dobrovolskaia MA, McNeil SE. Sterilization of Silver Nanoparticles Using Standard Gamma Irradiation Procedure Affects Particle Integrity and Biocompatibility. J NanomedicNanotechnol. 2011;S5:001.
- Borase HP et al. Phyto-Synthesized Silver Nanoparticles: A Potent Mosquito Biolarvicidal Agent. J NanomedineBiotherapeuticDiscov. 2013;3:111.
- El-Shahaby O, El-Zayat M, Salih E, El-Sherbiny IM, Reicha FM. Evaluation of Antimicrobial Activity of Water Infusion Plant-Mediated Silver Nanoparticles. J NanomedNanotechol. 2013;4:178.
- Sharma G, Jasuja ND, Rajgovind, Singhal P, Joshi SC. Synthesis, Characterization and Antimicrobial Activity of Abelia grandiflora Assisted AgNPs. J MicrobBiochem Technol. 2014;6:274-278.
- Ramesh Kumar K, Nattuthurai, Gopinath P, Mariappan T. Biosynthesis of Silver Nanoparticles from Morindatinctoria Leaf Extract and their Larvicidal Activity against Aedesaegypti Linnaeus 1762. J NanomedNanotechnol. 2014;5:242.
- Aparna Mani KM, Seethalakshmi S, Gopal V. Evaluation of In-vitro Anti-Inflammatory Activity of Silver Nanoparticles Synthesised using Piper Nigrum Extract. J NanomedNanotechnol. 2015;6:268.
- Shahrokh S, Hosseinkhani B, Emtiazi G. The Impact of Nano-Silver on Bacterial Aerobic Nitrate Reductase. J BioprocesBiotechniq. 2014;4:162.
- Vala AK, Shah S, Patel R. Biogenesis of Silver Nanoparticles by Marine-Derived Fungus Aspergillusflavus from Bhavnagar Coast, Gulf of Khambhat, India. J MarBiolOceanogr. 2014;3:1.
- Hungund BS, Dhulappanavar GR, Ayachit NH. Comparative Evaluation of Antibacterial Activity of Silver Nanoparticles Biosynthesized Using Fruit Juices. J NanomedNanotechnol. 2015;6:271.
- Devika R, Elumalai S, Manikandan E, Eswaramoorthy D. Biosynthesis of Silver Nanoparticles Using the Fungus Pleurotusostreatus and their Antibacterial Activity. 2012;1:557.
- Frazer RA. Use of Silver Nanoparticles in HIV Treatment Protocols: A Research Proposal. J NanomedicNanotechnol. 2012;3:127.
- Banach M, Szczyglowska R, Pulit J, Bryk M. Building Materials with Antifungal Efficacy Enriched with Silver Nanoparticles. ChemSci J. 2014;5:085.
- Tiwari V, KhokarMK, Tiwari M, Barala S, Kumar M. Anti-bacterial Activity of Polyvinyl Pyrrolidone Capped Silver Nanoparticles on the Carbapenem Resistant Strain of Acinetobacterbaumannii. J NanomedNanotechnol. 2014;5:246.
- Singh K, Panghal M, Kadyan S, Chaudhary U, Yadav JP. Antibacterial Activity of Synthesized Silver Nanoparticles from Tinosporacordifolia against Multi Drug Resistant Strains of Pseudomonas aeruginosa Isolated from Burn Patients. J NanomedNanotechnol. 2013;5:192.
- Banu A and Rathod V. Biosynthesis of Monodispersed Silver Nanoparticles and their Activity against Mycobacterium tuberculosis. J NanomedBiotherapeutDiscov 2013;3:110.
- Lee TY et al. The Immediate Mitochondrial Stress Response in Coping with Systemic Exposure of Silver Nanoparticles in Rat Liver. J NanomedNanotechnol. 2014;5:220.
- Morris B and Behzad F. The Effects of Gold and Silver Nanoparticles on an Enzymatic Reaction Between Horseradish Peroxidase and 3,3',5,5'-Tetramethylbenzidine. BiochemPharmacol. 2015;3:146.