Epidemiology in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
Department of Biotechnology, Majhighariani Institute of Technology and Science, Orissa, India.
- *Corresponding Author:
- Neha Anand
Department of Biotechnology
Majhighariani Institute of Technology and Science
Email: [email protected]
Received: 09/05/2015 Accepted: 20/05/2015 Published: 10/06/2015
Visit for more related articles at Research & Reviews: Journal of Medical and Health Sciences
Obstetrics, Gynaecology, laparoscopic surgery, Ectopic Pregnancy, Gynecological Cancers
Obstetrics and gynaecology is the surgical and medical specialty dealing with the care of female reproductive organs’ health and at the management of obstetric complications. Subspecialties in obstetrics and gynaecology, which needs extra training:
• Maternal-fetal medicine
• Reproductive endocrinology and infertility: It deals with the biological causes and interventional treatment of infertility.
• Gynaecological oncology: It deals primarily with neoplasias of the uterus, ovary, cervix, and vulva.
• Female pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery
• Family planning
• Advanced laparoscopic surgery
• Paediatric and adolescent gynaecology
• Menopausal and geriatric gynaecology
There are various microorganisms are found in the female lower genital as normal resident which is protecting the women form various types of infections
Obstetrics & Gynecology Related Diseases:
Ectopic Pregnancy: About 2 percent of all pregnancies develop at the surface of uterus, called an ectopic pregnancy. These are nearly always in the fallopian tube is more common in women having Infertility, Endometriosis, Tubal surgery etc. [2,3].
Ex: Cancer of breast 
Ovarian Cancer  is the most lethal disease among all gynaecological cancers. Chemotherapy is the most important treatment for almost all ovarian cancers .
Endometrial Cancer 
Cervical Cancer 
Vaginal Cancer 
of the lower female genital tract (SMFGT) is an uncommon growth of tissues in the vagina and cervix. Cancer is a vital disease worldwide which causes death
like vaginal bleeding and discharge, Sexually Transmitted Diseases, Uterine Fibroids [10
is a disorder of reproductive system which impairs the body ability to perform the basic function of reproduction [11
]. Quality of life is one of the important factors useful for the treatment of different patient [12
].Vaginal prolapse can have an main effect on quality of life [13
is the state where a woman permanently stops having menstrual period.
refer to the transitional period of time before which menstruation stops [14
is known as the pregnancy which continue 42 days [15
Pelvic Floor Issues 
Some Common Causes of Obstetrics & Gynecology diseases:
Advancing maternal age
Low body fat
Lower levels of estrogen in body after menopause
Symptoms related to some common Obstetrics & Gynecology related diseases:
It is a benign tumor of muscular and fibrous tissues, Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
It is a condition outside the womb which causes pelvic pain.
It is unintended loss of urine mainly due to overactive bladder
It is a swollen vein or group of veins in the region of the anus.
It is a medical state which makes the bones weak or deficiency of calcium or vitamin D.
It is the infection of vagina.
Some therapies for Obstetrics & Gynecology related diseases:
Dilation and curettage:
It is the opening of the cervix and surgical removal of part of the lining of the uterus by scraping and scooping.
It is the removal of the uterus through surgery [17
]. Total Laparoscopic Hysterectomy is used as a substitute for laparoscopic ally assisted vaginal hysterectomy [18
It is the removal of the fallopian tube and ovary
It is permanent method of sterilization and birth control
It is the process of viewing and operating in the endometrial cavity from a Tran’s cervical approach. Outpatient hysteroscopy (OPH) is used for the investigation for premenopausal and postmenopausal women with abnormal uterine bleeding [19
It is also a type of surgical procedure in which small incision is done. [20
It is a surgical procedure in which large incision is done through abdominal wall.
Various surgical treatments for urinary incontinence, which includes cystoscopy with sub-urethral slings .
It is the process of surgical removal of vermiform appendix
It is the treatment which is performed by an instrument which freezes the tissues and destroys abnormal tissues.
It is used to evaluate the posterior uterus, pelvic sidewalls, and adnexa. It is also used as an alternative method after failure of the pharmacological therapy for PCOS Induced Infertility
Some Common facts in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Endometrial biopsies are useful for assessing endometrial diseases . Leiomyoma is considered as the most common uterine tumor in women older than 30 years. This tumor extends different types of degenerations and a large variability in MRI imaging patterns. MR Spectroscopy can distinguish between benign and malignant lesions . Endometriosis is one of the complex gynecological diseases which are defined by the presence of endometrial glands and stroma outside the uterine cavity . It affects mainly reproductive aged women. The three clinical presentations of the disease may occur alone or coexist: peritoneal endometriosis, ovarian endometrioma, and Deep Infiltrating Endometriosis (DIE). In which DIE is the most aggressive presentation of endometriosis, which penetrates more than 5 mm in affected tissues.
In studies it is found that the genital infection frequency is mainly due to improper genital hygiene practices. 3-dimensional ultrasound is used for the diagnosis of LPSVC. Fetal Renal Pelvic Dilatation is treated with Double Pig Tail Catheter.
This content of the article is scrutinized and approved by M. Murali and written by Neha Anand.
- EEkanem EI, Efiok EE, Udoh AE, Inyang-Out A. Study of the Bacterial Flora of the Vagina and Cervix in Women of Childbearing Age in Rural Community of Niger Delta Region, Nigeria. Gynecol Obstetric. 2012;2:108.
- Vo CV, Major CA, MalhotraK. Value of Serial Ultrasounds in Early Diagnosis and Management of Prerupture Ovarian Ectopic Pregnancy: A Case Report. GynecolObstet (Sunnyvale).2014;4:251.
- Pieta W, Wilczynska A, Radowicki S. Hydrolaparoscopy - as an Alternative Method after a Failure of the Pharmacological Therapy for PCOS Induced Infertility. GynecolObstet (Sunnyvale). 2014; 4:222.
- Theofilou P. Illness Attributions among Gynecologic Cancer Patients. Gynecol Obstet.2012;2:e106.
- Kuroda H, Mabuchi S, Shigeta N, Yamamoto H, Kimura T. Recurrent Cerebral Infarctions in a Patient with Ovarian Cancer: A Fatal Case of Trousseauâ€™s Syndrome. GynecolObstet (Sunnyvale). 2014; 4:232.
- Liu MX, Chan DW, Ngan HYS. Mechanisms of Chemoresistance in Human Ovarian Cancer at a Glance. Gynecol Obstet. 2012;2:e104.
- Theofilou P. Illness Attributions among Gynecologic Cancer Patients. Gynecol Obstet. 2012; 2:e106.
- Salani R, Husain M, Oldach B, Katz BL. Assessment of Womenâ€™s Knowledge of Endometrial Cancer. GynecolObstet (Sunnyvale).2014;4:253.
- El Fatemi H, Hammas N, ErragayS, Bouchikhi C, Amarti A. Unknown Tumor of the Vaginal Wall: Case Report and Literature Review. Gynecol Obstetric. 2012;2:112.
- Chapa H. An Unwanted Postpartum Gift: The Issue of Retained Vaginal Sponges and Gauzes after Vaginal Birth. GynecolObstet (Sunnyvale).2014;4:252.
- Tafa M, Haidar J, Fekadu H. Modern Family Planning Use and its Relationship with the Nutritional Status of Women of Child Bearing Age at Tena District, Arsi Zone Oromia Regional State, Ethiopia 2013: A Community based Case Control Study. GynecolObstet (Sunnyvale).2015;5:282.
- Moayedi S. Acute Management of Cardiac Complications in Pregnancy. GynecolObstet (Sunnyvale).2014;4:245.
- Asma E, Elmahaishi MS. Does the Use of Highly Purified Human Menopausal Gonadotrophin (HP-HMG) avoid Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome (OHSS) in Polycystic Ovary (PCO) Patients in Assisted Reproduction (IVF/ICSI)?.GynecolObstet (Sunnyvale).2015;5:273.
- PerimenopauseKatke RD. Huge Mucinous Cystadenocarcinoma with Mucocele of Appendix in a Postmenopausal Woman: Extremely Rare Case Report with Review of Literature. GynecolObstet (Sunnyvale).2015;5:279.
- Malapati R,Brandis O, Sharma S, Nguyen TM. Late Midtrimester Pregnancy, Advanced Bulky Cervical Cancer, Radiation Therapy, and Physician’s Moral Distress: A Management Dilemma. Gynecol Obstetric.2012;2:114.
- Khavari R, Sathyamoorthy K, Zurawin J, Chan R, Gonzalez R, et al. Impaired Detrusor Contractility and the Treatment of Female Stress Urinary Incontinence. GynecolObstet (Sunnyvale).2014;4: 236
- Koike E, Kotani Y, Tobiume T, Tsuji I, Nakai H, et al. Introduction of Total Laparoscopic Hysterectomy as a Substitute for Laparoscopically Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy: A Comparison of the First 23 Cases. GynecolObstet (Sunnyvale).2014;4:211.
- Hamon NG, Peng NG, Sharon Li. Laparoscopic Treatment of an Interstitial Pregnancy. GynecolObstet (Sunnyvale).2014;4:238.
- SoleymaniMajd H, Ismail L, Haldar K, Rai VS. Factors Impacting the Success of Outpatient Hysteroscopy in the Rapid Access Clinic. GynecolObstet (Sunnyvale).2013;4:192
- Paek J, Choi YS, Nam EJ, Kim S, Kim YT, et al. Single-Port Laparoscopic Surgery in Extensive Peritoneal and Ovarian Endometriosis. Gynecol Obstet.2012;2:138.
- Kondo W, Zomer MT. Video recording the Laparoscopic Surgery for the Treatment of Endometriosis should be Systematic! GynecolObstet (Sunnyvale).2014;4:220.
- Pieta W, Wilczynska A, Radowicki S. Hydrolaparoscopy - as an Alternative Method after a Failure of the Pharmacological Therapy for PCOS Induced Infertility. GynecolObstet (Sunnyvale).2014; 4:222.
- Gonzalez RS, Chamberlain BK, Giannico G, Fadare O, Crispens MA, et al. Ovarian Serous Borderline Tumor Identified in Endometrial Biopsy: A Case Report. Gynecol Obstet.2013;3:179
- Valeria F, Sebastiano F, Coco I, Vasapollo B, Valensise H. PeduncolatedMixoyd Leiomyoma: MR Imaging and Spectroscopy. Gynecol Obstet.2012 2:135.
- Guindia WE, Ellithyb A, Salem S, Badr I, Abdelsalam S, et al. The Role of 3-Dimensional Ultrasound for the Diagnosis of LPSVC and A Review of the Literature. GynecolObstet (Sunnyvale).2014;4:202.