How Yoga Helps for Lymphedema?
Department of Pharmacy, Andhra University, Andhra Pradesh, India.
- *Corresponding Author:
- Raja Selvaraj
Department of Pharmacy
Andhra Pradesh, India
E-mail: [email protected]
Received Date: 29/07/2016; Accepted Date: 30/07/2016; Published Date: 06/08/2016
Visit for more related articles at Research & Reviews: Journal of Medical and Health Sciences
Lymphedema is a state of confined liquid maintenance and tissue swelling brought about by a traded off lymphatic framework, which typically returns interstitial liquid to the thoracic pipe, then the circulatory system. This condition can be acquired or can be brought about by a birth imperfection, however it is as often as possible created by growth medications, and by parasitic diseases. In spite the fact that serious and dynamic, various medications can enhance manifestations. Tissues with lymphedema are highly dangerous for contamination. Lymphedema happens when lymph vessel capacity is incredibly disabled. The significant reason for lymphedema is Lymphatic Filariasis. We utilized pranayama and yoga practices as part of the integrative treatment for patients influenced by lower limit lymphedema. Our studies demonstrated that the lymph accomplished in these patients was conceivably as a result of breathing, developments facilitated with breathing and incitement of autonomic framework. Yoga offers a self-look after lymphedema, but there is absence of confirmation that breathing really accomplishes lymphatic waste.
Lymphedema, Yoga, Pranayama, Lymphatic filariasis.
The lymphatic framework speaks to an adornment course through which liquid can spill out of interstitial spaces into the blood [1-10]. It depletes those cells, proteins and huge particulate matter which are not evacuated by blood vessels [1,5,11-20]. Lymphedema happens when lymph vessel capacity is incredibly debilitated because of bar, gross dilatation or misfortune. The pathogenesis of the significant reason for lymphedema, filariasis, includes a parasite that lives in the lymphatic gathering conduits close to their lymph hub end and causes significant dilatation [21,22]. Lymphoscintigraphy is presently the most widely recognized disease. The first examination was joined Indian and USA research centre methodology [23-25]. We utilized breathing activities (pranayama) and yoga facilitated with breathing as a component of the integrative treatment for some patients influenced by lower furthest point lymphedema. The target result measures demonstrated exceptionally huge changes. yoga and breathing as an approach to exhaust the veins of the thorax into the heart and advance focal lymphatic waste through the thoracic channel [25-28].
Breathing was known not imperative for the cardiovascular framework, We conjectured that lymph can be accomplished by utilizing breathing activities [29,30]. Lymph channels into the venous framework when intra-thoracic weight diminishes in motivation, though lapse. We utilized yoga to supplant focal Manual Lymphatic Drainage (MLD) amid the treatment of lower furthest point lymphedema. As per the present routine of lymphedema treatment focal Manual LD is an essential for accomplishing the fringe LD [31-33]. The presentation of decongestive treatment and manual lymphatic waste (MLD) indicated how over filled lymphatic's in the appendages could be exhausted by body developments (both dynamic and detached) and utilizing rub. It additionally demonstrated that fringe lymphatics can't stream proficiently into overloaded focal lymphatic’s [34-36]. Controlled breathing alongside constriction of rectus abdominus, stomach and entomb beach front muscles as in Bhastrika, makes weight contrasts in both the belly and thoracic area. This weight contrasts bought to permit lymph to deplete towards the thorax [37,38]. In Ujjayi, anulomaviloma, suryabhedana, rechaka-kumbhaka the inward breath is drawn out. The strokes of proceeded with exhalation in Bhasthrika are gone for totally purging the thoracic depression. At the same time strong developments over the stomach area from diaphragmatic and stomach muscles cause most extreme lymphatic exhausting, this may permit [39,40]. Amid fake breath, utilizing 'tank respirator' close is brought about when positive weight creates around the body, negative weight causes motivation. Positive weight inside the lungs obstructs the stream of blood into mid-section and heart from fringe veins. Profound, moderate, systematic breathing, as in Ujjayi also, rechaka kumbhaka incites intra-thoracic weight changes [41-45].
The small scale lymphatic weight by utilizing the servo nulling strategy at the forefoot skin in 24 solid volunteers and in 27 patients with essential lymphedema was checked. They recorded two examples of weight variance: cadenced low-adequacy (mean quality 3.7 mmHg) waves with a recurrence indistinguishable to breath (respiratory developments of the thorax recorded at the same time by a photograph cell) and unconstrained no musical, low-recurrence waves with higher plentifulness (mean worth 5.5 mmHg) [46-55]. Our studies utilized backhanded confirmation, for example, volume decrease, change in QoL and stride adjustments accomplished by reinforcing debilitated muscles as pointers of lymph waste (LD). We didn't utilize particular examinations to demonstrate that LD had really been accomplished [56-59].
Fringe LD is ordinarily accomplished by compression of the lymphatic vessel, compression of skeletal muscles. There are numerous questions and issues with respect to the physiology of lymph transport in people [59-62]. The lymphedema suffers loses the limit of the lymphatics. In any case some contractility can exist even in the most enlarged as a reaction to extending the smooth muscle filaments found in the mass of the gathering lymphatics, yoga can be utilized to fortify the thoughtful apprehensive framework [63-65]. Which is one of the controlling variables of the lymphatic vessel contractility? The trouble is all studies demonstrating the impact of breathing have happened in creatures or fit people. Concentrates on patients with serious lymphedema are deficient [65-70]. We don't think it would be conceivable to figure out what happens to skin lymph stream utilizing lymphoscintigraphy [71-78]. As of late measuring human lymphatic pumping utilizing indocyanine green fluorescence lymphography was appeared as a precise and additionally a sheltered, simple, and temperate strategy. Indocyanine green lymphography is an advantageous assessment strategy that utilizations safe nonradioactive color, which permits subjective appraisal of lymphedema condition continuously. 0.2 ml of indocyanine green is infused subcutaneously into the two-sided lower limits at the first web space of the foot and parallel fringe of the Achilles tendon [79-82]. 12 to 18 h after the infusion, circumferential fluorescent pictures of LD channels could be gotten utilizing an infrared camera framework. Expanded thickness of lymph vessels in the skin is one method for in a roundabout way surveying the enhanced lymphatic waste without tumours [83-85].
The control of breathing influences the exhausting of the considerable veins entering the heart in the upper mid-section. It is the level of the venous framework that the substance of the lymphatic framework unfilled through the thoracic pipe into the blood vascular framework [86-90]. Any disappointment of purging of the lymph vessels results in over-burden and subsequent lymphedema. At this level, the impact of inability to discharge is entire body lymphedema. It may more nearby disappointment of veins to vacant or lymphatic framework to stream typically results in nearby over-burden of the framework and neighbourhood lymphedema [42,91,92]. This was initially portrayed in the nineteenth Century by focal European clinicians and was looked into by Ryan. Hanzawa reported an instance of entire body lymphedema determining in the wake of easing the deterrent in the thoracic channel. Osteopaths have confidence in the significance of lymph stream and made an investigation of move through the thoracic pipe utilizing stomach and thoracic pump systems in the puppy. In the most recent century demonstrated an impact of venous impediment on the capacity of lymphatics. Utilization of inflatable sleeves to increment venous weight in the veins of the neck and entrance vein in sheep and examined the impacts of lymph waste [93-95]. Scrotal swelling channels through the stomach lymphatics and once the lymphatics had come back to ordinary state the scrotal swelling totally determined. To maintain controlled study that maintains a strategic distance from surgery of the scrotal swelling by the utilization of traditionalist mediations, for example, breathing, height of the lower parts of the body, delicate pressure and body developments [96-99].
There is no proof that breathing encourages the lymphatic in tremendously widened human truncal lymphatics. We could accept such, over filled and expanded truncal gathering lymphatics are a noteworthy hindrance to fringe lymph stream. Chance that breathing empties these focal lymphatics, it could be more important to advance hindered lymphatic stream. This implies yoga offers a self-care administration device for lymphedema. In any case it is conceivable that profound breathing through autonomic impacts advances lymphatic leeway by some other system, e.g. opening up fringe lymphatico-venous shunts. Indian Systems of Medicine have succeeded in administration of lymphedema.
- Narahari SR, et al. How does yoga work in lymphedema? J Yoga Phys Ther. 2013;3:135.
- Ahmed, et al. Endermologie technique versus decongestive lymphatic therapy on post-mastectomy related lymphedema. J Nov Physiother. 2013;3:155.
- Nourollahi S,et al. Bucher’s broom and selenium improve lipedema: A retrospective case study. Altern Integr Med. 2013;2:119.
- Hodge lM. Decongestive physiotherapy for the treatment of lymphedema. J Blood Lymph. 2012;2:e107.
- Yamashita K and Shimizu L. 3D-CT mammary lymphography can help selective axillary dissection of breast lymph flow differed from the arm. Omics J Radiol. 2014;3:158.
- Colson F, et al. Paclitaxel-related lymphedema and scleroderma-like skin changes. J Clin Case Rep. 2013;3:317.
- González l, et al. Swelling of extremities: Primary lymphedema? Pediat Therapeut. 2012;2:135.
- Tian W, et al. Lymphedema and lymphatic-dependent immune dysfunction. J Clin Cell Immunol. 2014;5:249.
- Gavrilescu MM, et al. Role of sentinel lymph node in early stage of uterine cervical cancer. Journal of Surgery [Jurnalul de Chirurgie]. 2014;10:217-222.
- Singh P. Effect of inspiratory muscle training versus breathing exercise training to enhance the sprint performance and pimax on wheelchair athletes with spinal cord injury. J Spine. 2016;5:314.
- Piirila P. Work of breathing in obesity assessed with body plethysmography comparison with emphysematic copd and pulmonary fibrosis. J Clin Respir Dis Care. 2016;2:109.
- Grunovas A, et al. Cardiovascular response to breath-holding explained by changes of the indices and their dynamic interactions. Biol Syst Open Access. 2016;5:152.
- Frisbie JH. Normal diaphragmatic and rib cage breathing: Effects on venous return patterns in monitored human subjects. Angiol. 2016;4:165.
- Jasani S, et al. Impact of a structured yoga program on anxiety in infertility patients: A feasibility study. JFIV Reprod Med Genet. 2016;4:183.
- Patwardhan A. Is the integration of yoga with psychotherapy compatible? What are the risks? J Psychol Psychother. 2016;6:261.
- Kilic D, et al. Bedside alarmin: Neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio in acute kidney injury. J Nephrol Ther. 2016;6:251.
- Bavanandam S, et al. Primary intestinal lymphangieactasia in a child. J Gastrointest Dig Syst. 2016;6:446.
- Pulgar MG and Gil-Moreno A. Extraperitoneal paraaortic lymphadenectomy preserving superior hypogastric plexus. Reprod Syst Sex Disord. 2016;5:176.
- Saber MM. The clinical significance of both IgM and IgG anti-cardiolipin antibodies in non-hodgkin’s lymphoma. J Clin Cell Immunol. 2016;7:436.
- Miszewska-Szyszkowska D, et al. A case of rare cutaneous mycobacteriosis and central nervous system post-transplant lymph proliferative disorder in a female patient after kidney transplantation. J Infect Dis Ther. 2016;4:285.
- Zhang D, et al. Chylothorax secondary to spontaneous rupture of the cisterna chyli treated with lymphangiography. J Pulm Respir Med. 2016;6:355.
- Badam TK, et al. Primary bone lymphoma – mimicking as osteomyelitis: An unusual presentation. J Orthop Oncol. 2016;2:111.
- Nakazawa H, et al. An aggressive transformation to Ebv-positive hodgkin lymphoma after bendamustine-containing chemotherapy for marginal zone lymphoma. J Hematol Thrombo Dis. 2016;4:246.
- Solovan C and Baderca F. Lymphomatoid papulosis misdiagnosed as anaplastic lymphoma. J Cytol Histol. 2016;7:415.
- Katzel JA, et al. Hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis case series. J Cytol Histol. 2016;7:399.
- Udoka OC, et al. The preterm effect of antiretroviral drugs on total lymphocyte cells and CD4 cells in HIV-infected pregnant women. J Blood Disord Transfus. 2016;7:353.
- Patir P, et al. Beta-thalassemia major and non-hodgkin lymphoma. J Blood Disord Transfus. 2016;7:352.
- Jhamb R, et al. Non hodgkins lymphoma masquerading as tuberculosis. J Blood Disord Transfus. 2016;7:349.
- Janeczko M, et al. Imatinib in the treatment of chronic myeloid leukemia in children and adolescents is effective and well-tolerated. Report of the polish pediatric study group for treatment of leukemias and lymphomas. J Leuk. 2016;4:211.
- Sasidharan PK and Priyadarshini B. Hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis - case history and review of literature. J Thrombo Cir. 2016;2:107.
- Celik S, et al. Analysis of the relationship between the levels of carcinoembryonic antigen and lactate dehydrogenase and the neutrophil/lymphocyte ratio in colorectal cancer. Immunochem Immunopathol. 2016;2:119.
- Brugman MH and Staal FJT. DNA barcoding of human stem and progenitor cells reveals differences in clonal dynamics of B and T lymphoid progeny. J Clin Cell Immunol. 2016;7:408.
- Brugman MH and Staal FJT. DNA barcoding of human stem and progenitor cells reveals differences in clonal dynamics of B and T lymphoid progeny. J Clin Cell Immunol. 2016;7:408.
- Uwimana I, et al. Fine needle aspirate and cytology (Fnac) as useful tool in the diagnosis of suspected tuberculous lymphadenitis in Rwanda. Mycobact Dis. 2016;6:200.
- Odia Y and Kreisl TN.Recurrent primary CNS lymphoma presenting with central neurogenic hyperventilation. J Brain Tumors Neurooncol. 2016;1:107.
- Sakuraba S, et al. A case of rectal mucosa-associated lymphoid tissue (MALT) lymphoma treated twice with antibiotic therapy for Helicobacter pylori. J Gastrointest Cancer Stromal Tumor. 2016;1:104.
- Van Ratingen AR, et al. Case report: Angiolymphoid hyperplasia with eosinophilia of the nose. Dermatol Case Rep. 2016;1:105.
- Barik S. Combination therapy for chronic lymphoid leukemia. J Cancer Sci Ther. 2016;8:78-79.
- Kefeli A and Adem A. A rare cause of upper gastrointestinal bleeding; non-hodgkin’s lymphoma. Gen Med (Los Angel). 2016;4:234.
- Van Pelt GW, et al. Stroma-high lymph node involvement predicts poor survival more accurately for patients with stage iii colon cancer. J Med Surg Pathol. 2016;1:116.
- Singh N andPatel A. Novel use of budesonide MMX in the treatment of lymphocytic colitis. J Gastrointest Dig Syst. 2016;6:423.
- Tulara NK. Young male with secondary acute hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis. Oncol Cancer Case Rep. 2016;2:111.
- Atliine EI, et al. Anaplastic lymphoma kinase (Alk) rearrangement and Egfr mutations in lung adenocarcinoma. Adv Oncol Res Treat. 2016;1:103.
- Gomase VS, et al. Prediction of Wuchereria bancrofti troponin antigenic peptides: Application in synthetic vaccine design to counter lymphatic filariasis. J Vaccines Vaccin. 2013;4:169.
- Morchón R, et al. Molecular characterization of Culex theileri from Canary Islands, Spain, a potential vector of Dirofilaria immitis. J Clinic Experiment Pathol. 2011;s3:001.
- Chandra G, et al. Comparative studies of different indices related to filarial vector of a rural and an urban area of West Bengal, India. Tropical Medicine &Surgery. 2013;1:104.
- Chandra G, et al. Comparative epidemiological studies on lymphatic filariasis among the population of a rural and an urban area of West Bengal, India. Tropical Medicine & Surgery. 2013;1:103.
- Anuradha V, et al. Efficacy of mosquito repellent and adulticidal activities of Halophila ovalis extract against filaria vectors. J Trop Dis. 2015;4:191.
- Sharma B. Lymphatic filariasis and chemotherapeutic targets. Biochem Anal Biochem. 2014;3:e147.
- Vathsala PG. Protection after malaria therapy: A step-up to immunity. Malaria Contr Elimination. 2016;5:148.
- Feghali A, et al. Utilization of intravascular ultrasound to assess vascular invasion in pancreatic cancer post chemoradiation therapy. J Vasc Med Surg. 2016;4:275.
- Kenny DT. Short-term psychodynamic psychotherapy (STPP) for a severely performance anxious musician: A case report. J Psychol Psychother. 2016;6:272.
- Do Couto JPA, et al. Comparative study using functional and stabilometric evaluation of balance in elderly submitted to conventional physiotherapy and WII-rehabilitation. Physiother Rehabil. 2016;1:109.
- Bonucci M. Integrated cancer therapy: treat the person to cure the cancer. InternationalJ Inflam Cancer Integ Therpy. 2016;3:e101.
- Medeiros JM and Rocklin T. Manual therapy, therapeutic exercise and hiptrac for patients with hip osteoarthritis: A case series. Physiother Rehabil. 2016;1:108.
- Waghavkar S and Ganvir S. Enhancement of recovery with physical therapy management in patient of rare variety of gullain Barre syndrome: A case report. Physiother Rehabil. 2016;1:107.
- Sahli N, et al. Impact of brachytherapy in the treatment of locally advanced cervical cancer: Results from a single institution. Gynecol Obstet (Sunnyvale). 2016;6:386.
- Ichihara H, et al. Negatively charged cell membranes-targeted highly selective chemotherapy with cationic hybrid liposomes against colorectal cancer in vitro and in vivo. J Carcinog Mutagen. 2016;7:267.
- Wang NH, et al. The influence of gsta1 polymorphism to the response to intravenous cyclophosphamide therapy in the lupus nephritis patients. Lupus Open Access. 2016;1:115.
- Kaiser K, et al. Content validation of the functional assessment of chronic illness therapy (FACIT)-fatigue scale in moderately to highly active rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatology (Sunnyvale). 2016;6:193.
- Johnson R. Culturally responsive family therapy with post-risk assessment juvenile fire setting and bomb making: A forensic psychology paradigm. J Psychol Psychother. 2016;6:270.
- Kiran T and Aruna T. diagnosis and treatment of radiation therapy induced ocular surface disorders. Omics J Radiol. 2015;5:e138.
- Lay FD and Liang G. Rethinking demethylating agents in epigenetic cancer therapy. J Mol Pharm Org Process Res. 2016;4:133.
- Al-Blooshi R, et al. Isolated CNS blast crisis of cml in a patient on dasatinib therapy. J Leuk. 2016;4:212.
- Kelleni MT. Simeprevir, sofosbuvir and ribavirin as first line therapy of HCV infection, is it justifiable enough basing on safety and efficacy. Gen Med (Los Angel). 2016;4:e109.
- Bisen PS. Nutritional therapy as a potent alternate to chemotherapy against cancer. J Cancer Sci Ther. 2016;8:e135.
- Umadevi U and Umakanthan T.Alternative therapy of skin diseases in cattle. J Infect Dis Diagn. 2016;1:108.
- Stefanini MC, et al. Study of the acceptance and perceived efficacy of animal assisted therapy (AAT) for parents and nurses in the psychiatry unit of Meyer children’s hospital in Florence - Italy. J Community Med Health Educ. 2016;6:448.
- Alghanem M, et al. Hepatocellular carcinoma response to local regional therapy; correlations between pre-liver transplants imaging and explant pathology. J Gastrointest Dig Syst. 2016;6:444.
- Ibrahim N. Integrating personalization of treatment with tamoxifen into pharmacy practice via clinical pharmacist role in therapy management. J Pharma Care Health Sys. 2016;3:162.
- Ombengi DN, et al. The disease burden and the extent of drug therapy problems in an underserved minority population receiving medication therapy management at an ambulatory care free clinic. J Pharma Care Health Sys. 2016;3:157.
- Weerasekara RMIM, et al. Awareness among school athletes about “the handling and transferring techniques of a suspected spinal cord injured athlete”. Int J Neurorehabilitation. 2016;3:217.
- Schütze F. Biography analysis on the empirical base of autobiographical narratives: How to analyse autobiographical narrative interviews - part i. Module b.2.1.invite – biographical counseling in rehabilitative vocational training – further education curriculum. 2007.
- Germano I and Castro Ca De. Pesquisaemsaúde: Perspectivasnarrativistas, métodos e níveis de análise. Psicolargum. 2010;28:17-29.
- Riessmann CK. narrative methods for the human sciences. Sage,California. 2008.
- Lieblich A, et al. Narrative research: Reading, analysis and interpretation. Sage, California. 1998.
- Charon R. Narrative medicine. Honoring the stories of illness. Oxford University Press,New York. 2006.
- Lehrer PM, et al. Resonant frequency biofeedback training to increase cardiac variability: Rationale and manual for training. Appl Psychophysiol Biofeedback. 2000;25:177-191.
- Paprika D, et al. Hemodynamic effects of slow breathing: does the pattern matter beyond the rate? Acta Physiologica Hungarica. 2014;101:273-281.
- Tiller W, et al. Cardiac coherence: A new, non-invasive measure of autonomic nervous system order. Altern Ther Health Med. 1996;2:52-65.
- Motowidlo SJ, et al. Occupational stress: Its causes and consequences for job performance. J Appl Psychol. 1986;71:618-629.
- Kauts A and Sharma N. Effects of yoga on academic performance in relation to stress. Int J Yoga. 2009;2:39-43.
- Markil N, et al. Yoga nidra relaxation increases heart rate variability and is unaffected by a prior bout of hatha yoga. J Altern Complement Mede. 2012;18:953-958.
- Telles S, et al. A combination of focusing and defocusing through yoga reduces optical illusion more than focusing alone. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol. 1997;41:179-182.
- Mishra SS, et al. Expression of parp1 in primary infertility patients and correlation with DNA fragmentation index a pilot study. J Anatom Soc India. 2013;62:98–104.
- Kumar SB, et al. Tobacco use increases oxidative sperm DNA damage- etiology in childhood cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2015;16:6967-6972.
- Venkatesh S, et al. Clinical significance of sperm DNA damage threshold value in the assessment of male infertility. Reprod Sci. 2011;18:1005-1013.
- Kumar SB, et al. Improvement in sperm DNA quality following simple life style intervention: A study in fathers of children with non-familial sporadic heritable retinoblastoma. J Clin Case Rep. 2015;5:509.
- Mohanty K, et al. Estimation of blood free radical levels in healthy population pre and post yoga. J Anatom Soc India. 2014;63:s13–s18.
- Clarke TC, et al. Trends in the use of complementary health approaches among adults: United States, 2002-2012. National Health Statistics Reports. 2015;79.
- Peregoy JA, et al. Regional variation in use of complementary heath approaches by U.S. adults. NCHS Data Brief. 2014;146.
- Centers for disease control and prevention. NationalAmbulatory Medical Care Survey. 2010.
- Hoy D, et al. A systematic review of the global prevalence of low back pain. Arthritis Rheum. 2012;64:2028-2037.
- Tilbrook HE, et al. Yoga for chronic low back pain: a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med. 2011;155:569-578.
- Barker AL, et al. Effectiveness of aquatic exercise for musculoskeletal conditions: A meta-analysis. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2014;95:1776-1786.
- Frohman AN, et al. Aquatic training in MS: Neurotherapeutic impact upon quality of life. Ann Clin Transl Neurol. 2015;2:864-872.
- Batterham SI, et al. Systematic review and meta-analysis comparing land and aquatic exercise for people with hip or knee arthritis on function, mobility and other health outcomes. BMC Musculoskelet Disord.2011;12:123.
- Jigami H, et al. Effects of weekly and fortnightly therapeutic exercise on physical function and health-related quality of life in individuals with hip osteoarthritis. J Orthop Sci. 2012;17:737-744.
- Cecchi F, et al. Predictors of response to exercise therapy for chronic low back pain: Result of a prospective study with one year follow-up. Eur J Phys Rehabil Med. 2014;50:143-151.