Obstructive Sleep Apnea
Department of Biotechnology, Majhighariani Institute of Technology and Science, Orissa, India.
- *Corresponding Author:
- Neha Anand
Department of Biotechnology
Majhighariani Institute of Technology and Science
Email: [email protected]
Received: 02/05/2015 Accepted: 20/05/2015 Published: 06/06/2015
Visit for more related articles at Research & Reviews: Journal of Medical and Health Sciences
Somnipathy, Medication, Sleep Disorders, Diabete
Sleep is a basic part for human health and life . Sleep disorder is also known as somnipathy. It is a medical disorder in sleep patterns and affects through several pathways including memory consolidation and retention . The functions of sleep are continuing question for researchers . Obstructive Sleep apnea is the most common sleep apnea which occurs due to repeated complete or partial blockage of the upper airway during sleep .There are several metabolic abnormalities are related to obstructive sleep apnea. For example: Obesity . It is found in studies that due to OSA 90%of the adult patient having more weight . Oral appliance therapy  and PAP therapy  are therapy which is effective in OSA. It is found that in hospitalized patient OSA is commonly undiagnosed .
The Common Sleep Disorders:
• Sleep Apnea 
• Insomnia 
• Restless Legs Syndrome.
• Night Terrors.
Principles in the Treatment of Sleep Disorder 
• Somatic treatment
• Behavioral and psychotherapeutic treatment
• Rehabilitation and treatment
Effects of OSA:
• High blood pressure 
• Heart failure 
• Depression 
• Worsening of ADHD
OSA effects 4% male and 2% female in general population . The life quality of patients suffering from OSA is significantly reduced . BestMad is among the best oral device which is used in the treatment of patients with OSA . In this the indicator provided induces a continuous anterior stimulation of the tongue which helps in expanding the pharyngeal airway space (PAS) during sleep . It is found that OSA patients are generally side sleepers (female), which causes more snoring, obese and more oxygen desaturation . Lifestyle change is considered useful in minimizing the effects of OSA . Essential amino acid tryptophan in diet having satisfactory effects in the children suffering from OSA . OSA may cause development of serious and clinically significant during cardiopulmonary complications . The Berlin questionnaire (BQ) is one of the instruments for assess subjects at high risk for OSA . In studies it is found that OSA patients having less attention, less working memory, poor verbal learning and recall, less semantic fluency and poor processing speed . OSA having more effect on the patients undergoing coronary artery bypass graft .
Some Screening tool for OSA:
• Mandible movement automated analysis (MMAA) 
• STOP-BANG 
Lifestyle change in OSA patients especially in diet and exercise is more effective. Inspite of development of several screening methods and therapies for treatment of OSA there is need for further development in this field.
This content of the article is scrutinized and approved by M. Murali and written by Neha Anand.
- Xue M. Sleep Health Problems in Adolescents. J Sleep Disorders Ther.2012;1:e111.
- Bharwani S. Initial Evaluation of a Titration Appliance for Temporary Treatment of Obstructive Sleep Apnea.J Sleep DisordTher. 2011;1:e108.
- Poulin J, Kim WJ, Germain A. Resilience through Sleep. J Sleep DisoTher. 2012;1:e105.
- Insalaco G. Obstructive Sleep Apnea: A Big Issue. The Need for Screening Tools. J Sleep Disorders Ther. 2012;1:e114.
- Steiropoulos P, Papanas N. Metabolic Disorders in Obstructive Sleep Apnea. J Sleep Disorders Ther. 2012;1:e113.
- Porhomayon J. Obstructive Sleep Apnea in Perioperative Period. J Sleep DisordTher. 2012;1:e103.
- Levendowski DJ, Morgan T, Westbrook P. Initial Evaluation of a Titration Appliance for Temporary Treatment of Obstructive Sleep Apnea.J Sleep DisordTher. 2011;1:101.
- Franco RA, Dhotre D. Accelerated Diagnosis and Treatment of Sleep Apnea in Hospitalized Patients. Practice Improvement Method for Ensuring Follow up. J Sleep DisordTher. 2015;4:182.
- Sharma S, Daggubatti R, Tribble RW, Petit SJ, Gross K. Prevalence of Obstructive Sleep Apnea in Patients Undergoing Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery (CABG). A Pilot Study. J Sleep Disor. Treat Care. 2012;1:2.
- Seda G, Welsh CH, Daheshia M, Perri J, Bradshaw D. Evaluation of Multiple Sleep-Related Parameters in Patients with Obstructive Sleep Apnea in Different Age Ranges. J Sleep Disorders Ther. 2013;2:140.
- Baglioni C, Riemann D.Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment for Insomnia Comorbid with Psychiatric Disorders. J Sleep Disorders Ther. 2012;1:e112.
- Sexton-Radek K. Following the Obstructive Sleep Apnea Diagnosis. J Sleep Disorders Ther. 2013;2:e119.
- Ogbolu RE, Aina OF, Famuyiwa OO, Erinfolami AR. A Study of Insomnia among Psychiatric Out-Patients in Lagos Nigeria. J Sleep Disorders Ther. 2012;1:104.
- Ming X. Migraine Headaches and Sleep Disorders in Children. J Sleep Disorders Ther. 2013;2:121.
- Sexton-Radek K. A Look at Worldwide Sleep Disturbance. J Sleep Disorders Ther. 2013;2:115.
- Sonsuwan N, Ameiam S, Sawanyawisuth K. The Correlation of Physical Parameters and Apnea-Hypopnea Index in OSA Suspected Thai Patients. J Sleep Disorders Ther. 2013;2:119.
- Iacomino E, Pagliarella M, Pestilli F, Falisi G,Bisogni V. New Mandibular Advancement Device (BestMAD) in the Treatment of Obstructive Sleep Apnea: A Preliminary Study. J Sleep DisordTher. 2015;4:185.
- Iacomino E, Pagliarella M, Pestilli F. New Mandibular Advancement Device (Bestmad) in the Treatment of Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome: Medical Images. J Sleep DisordTher. 2015;4: I103.
- Pataka A. Quality of Life and Public Health Issues in Patients Suffering from Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome. J Sleep Disorders Ther. 2013;2:114.
- Cubero J, et al. Chrononutrition: Improving Infant Sleep with Tryptophan in Food Matrices. J Sleep DisordTher. 2012;S7:001.
- Chirakalwasan N,Teerapraipruk B, Pereirasamy L. The Importance of Habitual Sleep Position in Obstructive Sleep Apnea among Asians. J Sleep Disor: Treat Care. 2014;3:2.
- Lowe ASW, Ebrahim IO, Williams AJ. The Effect of Lifestyle Interventions on Obstructive Sleep Apnoea and the Metabolic Syndrome: A Systematic Review. J Sleep Disor: Treat Care. 2014;3:3.
- Déry V, Lanthier L, Touchette M. Increased Risk of Serious Post-Operative Cardiopulmonary Complications in Undiagnosed Severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea. J Sleep DisorTreat Care. 2014;3:3.
- Sadeghniiat-Haghighi K, et al. The Berlin Questionnaire: Performance of the Persian Version for Measuring Obstructive Sleep Apnea in Sleep Clinic Population. J Sleep DisorTreat Care. 2014;3:4.
- Lau EYY, Ip MSM, Lee TMC, Yeung AWM, Eskes GA. Neurocognitive and Psychosocial Outcomes of Obstructive Sleep Apnea in Hong Kong Chinese: Similar to or Different from Western Populations? J Sleep Disor Treat Care. 2013;2:3.
- Niven AS, Mysliwiec V, et al. Continuous Oximetry Offers Promise To Reduce the Risk of Perioperative Complications in OSA Patients. J Sleep Disorders Ther. 2014;3:163
- Maury G, et al. Added Value of a Mandible Movement Automated Analysis in the Screening of Obstructive Sleep Apnea: Is there a Gender Influence? J Sleep Disor Treat Care. 2013;2:3.
- Boynton G, Vahabzadeh A, Hammoud S, Ruzicka DL, Chervin RD. Validation of the STOP-BANG Questionnaire among Patients Referred for Suspected Obstructive Sleep Apnea. J Sleep Disor: Treat Care. 2013;2:4.