Chocolate-Canis Lupus Familiaris
RGR Siddanthi College of Pharmacy, JNTUH, Hyderabad, India
- Corresponding Author:
RGR Siddanthi College of Pharmacy, JNTUH, Hyderabad, India
E-mail: [email protected]
Received date: 25/08/2016 Revised date: 29/08/2016 Accepted date: 15/09/2016
Visit for more related articles at Research & Reviews: Journal of Zoological Sciences
Canis Lupus Familiaris is known to be the genus, species and species of Dogs. That includes 37 breeds including domestic dogs and stray dogs out of which 9 breeds are the wolves and foxes. As we all know, Dogs have been the man’s best friend ever since we knew them. They are known for their faith and unconditional love towards the mankind. They need nothing but our attention and our love of course food also. But, not what all we eat can be fed to them. Yes, you read this right they have some limitations in their diet. That is quite normal to us. Chocolate is one of the most poisonous things for a dog. Let’s discuss What? Why and How?
Chocolate, Caffeine, Theobromine, Dogs
Chocolate contains an alkaloid called "theobromine". Theobromine is in the same family as caffeine and is a sort of stimulant (they both are mythylxanines). Theobromine empowers the focal sensory system, cardiovascular framework, and causes a marginally expands pulse.
What Is Theobromine?
Yes, “THE CHOCOLATE” [1,2] it is usually sweet and gives us pleasure as that of addiction to it. It is made from the seeds of the plant Theobroma cocao. And chocolate consist of an alkaloid called Theobromine [3-7]. It is only absence a methyl (CH3) group in the caffeine moiety resulting in the theobromine moiety. Which is C7H8N4O2. 3, 7-Dimethylxanthine [8,9] is an IUPAC name for theobromine which is basically a flavonoid [10-12].
Sequencing of the laboratory mouse genome used to be accomplished in late 2002 making use of the C57BL/6 strain. This used to be only the second mammalian genome [13-15] to be sequenced after humans. The haploid genome is set three billion base pairs long (3,000 Mb distributed over 20 chromosomes), for this reason equal to the size of the human genome [16-19]. Estimating the number of genes contained in the mouse genome is difficult, partly for the reason that the definition of a gene is still being debated and elevated. The current count of main coding genes within the laboratory mouse is 23,139. Compared to an estimated 20,774 in humans [20,21].
What has theobromine got to do with a dog’s health?
Chocolate contains a theobromine which stimulates human brain i.e. CNS which in turn results in Strict tachycardia [22-26], and vascular constriction . Dogs, Cats and Horses are incapable metabolise theobromine as quick as humans can. Due to which it causes adverse effects that can be much worse than humans. As dogs are much sensitive to theobromine and caffeine compared to that of Human beings [28-31].
The following conditions can be seen in a dog that has eaten chocolate [32-37]:
• Muscle Twitching
• Excess Urination
• Excessive Panting
• Hyperactive Behavior
• Digestive Problems
And increased heart rate can be extremely fatal to dogs and may also cause death.
The Toxicity of the Chocolate in dogs can be calculated and can be treated as per the ratio i.e. (mg/kg), which means, if a dog is weighing 5 kilograms and has consumed chocolate in ratios to 20% of that of its body weight ten the toxicity of the theobromine [38-40] or the chocolate is low or less than medium. The following signs can be observed when such amount is ingested by the dog [41-46]. Drooling, Vomiting and Diarrhea where all smell like Choco. Likewise it is calculated as per the weight and the percentage of the theobromine  and the symptoms may vary as follows:
Theobromine and caffeine are expeditiously held from the GI tract and for the most part passed on all through the body. They are metabolized in the liver and experience enterohepatic reusing [48-52]. Methylxanthines are released in the pee as both metabolites and unaltered watchman blends. The half-presences of theobromine and caffeine in puppies are 17.5 hr and 4.5 hr, independently [53-55].
Theobromine and caffeine strongly limit cell adenosine receptors, achieving CNS prompting, diuresis, and tachycardia [54-57]. Methylxanthines also increase intracellular calcium levels by extending cell calcium entry and controlling intracellular sequestration of calcium by the sarcoplasmic reticulum which is related to striated muscle. The net effect is extended quality and contractility of skeletal and heart muscle [58-61]. Methylxanthines may in like manner strive for benzodiazepine receptors inside the CNS and quell phosphodiesterase, achieving extended cyclic AMP levels. Methylxanthines may moreover increase streaming levels of epinephrine and norepinephrine .
Treatments and Remedies
They must be kept away from sweets, Sugars and mostly chocolates if isgested the following measures must be taken:
• Try to make the dog swallow some activated charcoal.
• Give him plenty of Water [63-65].
• If he is vomiting, drooling or passing the faeces frequently means that he is able to withstand the toxicity and is excreting it. But, that doesn’t mean to leave it there [66-70].
• Take him to the Vet as early as possible.
• Methocarbamol (50-220) mg/kg can be given accordingly to the age and weight of the dog.
• Dosage of the Methocarbamol can be calculated as per Dilling’s or Young’s formula .
Formulae to calculate the dosages of medicines for dogs:
1. Dilling's formula: Dose for a child=(age in years/12) x an adult dose
2. Young’s formula: Dose for a child=[age in years/(age + 12)] x an adult dose
Conclusion relies on upon history of presentation, close by clinical signs. Amphetamine toxicosis, mom huang/guarana (ephedra/caffeine) toxicosis, pseudoephedrine toxicosis, cocaine toxicosis, and ingestion of antihistamines, antidepressants, or distinctive CNS stimulants should be considered in the differential examination.
- Retnadhas S and Gummadi SN. Optimization of Process Conditions for Biotransformation of Caffeine to Theobromine using Induced Whole Cells of Pseudomonas sp.J Bioprocess Biotech. 2014;4:178.
- Nath K, et al. Role of Total Soluble Sugar, Phenols and Defense Related Enzymes in Relation to Banana Fruit Rot by Lasiodiplodia theobromae During Ripening. J Plant Pathol Microb. 2015;6:299.
- Surah S and Al An’Am. The Noble Quran. Translation of the meanings in Bosnian language. P:132.
- OmaniÄ Ajnija and KulenoviÄ Fahrudin. The man and the dog. Mali Lošinj: Croatian philosophical Society. 2014;99.
- Jazic Adnan and OmeragicJasmin. Vectors and vector diseases: health risks for humans and animals. Sarajevo: Public health institute of Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina; 2014.
- Zainal B, et al. Anticancer Agents from Non-Edible Parts of Theobroma cacao. Nat Prod Chem Res. 2014;2:134.
- Cruz G, et al. Production of Activated Carbon from Cocoa (Theobroma cacao) Pod Husk. J Civil Environment Engg. 2012;2:109.
- BH MAC Sarajevo: Minskasituacija-nova opštaprocjena.
- Khan R, et al. Antibacterial Activity of Rhazya strictaNon-alkaloid Extract against Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Biol Syst Open Access. 2016;5:157.
- Kapadia N and Harding W. Aporphine Alkaloids as Ligands for Serotonin Receptors. Med chem (Los Angeles). 2016;6:241-249.
- Ye Z and Dyke KV. Antimalarial Activity of Various Bisbenzylisoquinoline and Aporphine- enzylisoquinoline Alkaloids and their Structure-Activity Relationships against Chloroquine- Sensitive and Resistant Plasmodium falciparum Malaria in vitro. Malaria Contr Elimination. 2015;4:137.
- Al Hagg and Surah XXII. The Noble Quran. Translation of the meanings in Bosnian language by Besim Korkut. P:332.
- Glickman LTIU and Chaudry J. Pica patterns, toxocariasis and elevated blood lead in children. Am J Trop Med Hyg 1981;30:81-83.
- Gross ME and Zeitan R. Toxocara canis infection in dogs in Beersheba, Israel. Journal of Helminthology. 1984;58:139-141.
- Toh N and Muraoka N. Prevalence of Toxocara canis infection in household dogs. The journal of the Japanese Association for the infectious disease. 1997;3:114-119.
- Wau J, et al. Isolation of Three Bioactive Phenantroindolizidine Alkaloids from the Fruit Latex of Ficus botryocarpa Miq. Nat Prod Chem Res. 2015;3:197.
- Khan H. Therapeutic Potential of Alkaloids Cough. Biol Med (Aligarh). 2016;8:e123.
- Mayevych I, et al. Chemical Composition of Cordia lutea L.: Absence of Pyrrolizidine Alkaloids. Nat Prod Chem Res. 2015;3:194.
- Camacho E, et al. Regulation of the Human Delta-Opioid Receptor by Alkaloids: Different Roles of Arrestins. Neurochem Neuropharm Open Access 2015;1:101.
- Nurhayati APD, et al. In Vitro Test and Molecular Docking of Alkaloid Compound in Marine Sponge Cinachyrella anomala against T47D Cell Cycle. J Marine Sci Res Dev. 2015;5:158.
- Joshi BN and Sabne SS. Incidence of Toxocara canis infection in stray dogs in Mirajm Area. IJPM. 1977;20:239-43.
- Kazacos KR. Gastrointestinal helminthes in dogs from a humane shelter in Indiana. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. 1978;173:995-997.
- Kucharova M. Parasites of dogs and cats in Prague with concentration on parasitozoonosis. Veterinastvi. 1989;39:314-317.
- Legrottaglie RR and Papini R. Prevalence of Toxocara canis eggs in dog faecal deposits from urban areas of Pisa, Italy. Helminthologia. 2003;40:173-175.
- Jagetia GC and Rao. Isoquinoline Alkaloid Berberine Exerts its Antineoplastic Activity by Inducing Molecular DNA Damage in HeLa Cells: A Comet Assay Study. Biol Med (Aligarh). 2015;7:223.
- Wang D, et al. Activities of Antitussive of even Alkaloids from Bulbus Fritillariae cirrhosae. Nat Prod Chem Res. 2014;S1:005.
- Ortega-David E and Rodriguez-Stouvenel. A Bioprocessing of Lupin Cotyledons (Lupinus mutabilis) with Rhizopus oligosporus for Reduction of Quinolizidine Alkaloids. J Food Process Technol. 2014;5:323.
- Putra MY and Jaswir I. The Alkaloids from Indonesian Marine Sponges. Oceanography. 2014;2:125.
- Malloy and Embil. Prevalence of Toxocara spp. and other parasites in dogs and cats in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Can J Comp Med. 1978;42: 29-31.
- Maqbool A, et al. Prevalence and chemotherapy of toxocariasis in the in the dog in Faisalabad (Punjab), Pakistan. Veterinarski Arhiv. 1998;68:121-125.
- Ramisz AB, et al. Alimentary tract parasite occurrence in dogs in the area of North – western Poland. Electronic Journal of Polish Agricultural Universities, Veterinary Medicine. 2004;7: 1-7.
- Mohammed MMD, et al. Rubiothiazepine a Novel Unusual Cytotoxic Alkaloid from Ixora undulata Roxb. Leaves. Nat Prod Chem Res. 2014;2:128.
- Kadiri S, et al. Isolation and Identification of A Novel Aporphine Alkaloid SSV, An Novel Antitumor Antibiotic from Fermented Broth of Marine Associated Streptomyces sp. KS1908. J Marine Sci Res Dev. 2013;3:137.
- Virtanen P. An Electron Transferred Alkaloid Mixture Composed for Until Now Incurable Hepatitis B. J Anal Bioanal Tech. 2013;4:171.
- Gupta M, et al. Does Anesthesia Induction during Electrophysiologic Studies Induce Tachycardia in Pediatric Patients. J Cardiovasc Dis Diagn. 2016;4:250.
- Gonsorcik J, et al. Atrioventricular Nodal Reentrant Tachycardia in Transplanted Heart. J Clin Exp Cardiolog. 2016;7:458.
- Sturchler D and Peter R. Parasitic disease in School children in a village in Swiss Jura. Soz Praventiv Med. 1981;2B:315-319.
- Taylor MRH and Holland CV. Toxocariasis. In: Principles and practice of Clinical Parasitology, (Eds, Gillespie SH and Pearson RD) John Wiley and Sons, Ltd., New York 2001.
- Thevenet PS, et al. (2003) Presence and persistence of intestinal parasites incanine faecal material collected from the environment in the Province of Chubut, Argentina Patagonia. Veterinary Parasitology. 117: 263-269.
- Mavrogeni S, et al. Ventricular Tachycardia and Sudden Cardiac Death in Connective Tissue Diseases: Can Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance Play a Role? Rheumatology (Sunnyvale). 2016;6:198.
- Lisboa da Silva RMF and Roever L. Typical Atrioventricular Nodal Reentrant and Orthodromic Atrioventricular Tachycardias: Electrocardiographic, Electrophysiological Diagnosis and Treatment. Arrhythm Open Access. 2016;1:109.
- Peters S. Recurrence of Permanent Junctional Re-entry Tachycardia: Indication for Ablation of the Junctional Pathway. Arrhythm Open Access. 2016;1:111.
- Kataria V, et al. Radiofrequency Catheter Ablation of Ventricular Tachycardia in Structural Heart Disease: Single Team Experience with Follow-Up upto 5 Years. Arrhythm Open Access. 2016);1:104.
- Izumi G, et al. Pulmonary Vein Tachycardia after Pulmonary Vein Isolation for Persistent Atrial Fibrillation in a Young Patient with the Dilated Right Atrium Following Surgical Repair. Pediat Therapeut. 2016;6:272.
- Hoshino K, et al. A Case of Pulseless Ventricular Tachycardia Induced by Iatrogenic Adrenaline Overdose. Emergency Med. 2015;5:293.
- Wang L, et al. Catheter Ablation of Sinus Node Reentrant Tachycardia with a Non-Contact Mapping System. J Cardiovasc Dis Diagn. 2015;3:200.
- Kincaid BB, et al. Manifestations of Anxiety? Explaining Tachycardia and Hypertension in a Patient with POTS. Fam Med Med Sci Res. 2015;4:153.
- Jeserich M, et al. Asymptomatic Patient with Complex Exercise-induced Ventricular Tachycardia. J Clin Exp Cardiolog. 2014;5:1000342.
- Kette F, et al. What is Ventricular Tachycardia for an Automated External Defibrillator. J Clin Exp Cardiolog. 2014;5:285.
- Freeberg SY, et al. Efficacy of Mechanical Circulatory Support Devices for Termination of Drug – Refractory Sustained Ventricular Tachycardia. J Clinic Experiment Cardiol. 2011;2:153.
- Azza AA, et al. The Potential Effect of Caffeine and Nicotine Co-administration against Aluminuminduced Alzheimer’s disease in Rats. J Alzheimers Dis Parkinsonism. 2016;6:236.
- Stefanello ST, et al. Caffeine supplementation changes inflammatory biomarkers after exercise. J Yoga Phys Ther. 2016;6:240.
- Aroyeun SO and Jayeola CO. Effects of Green Tea Extracts on the Caffeine, Tannin, Total Polyphenolic Contents and Organoleptic Properties of Milk Chocolate. J Food Process Technol. 2016;7:579.
- Katz SJ, et al. The Influence of Dosage and Timing of Caffeine Administration on Neurodevelopmental Outcome of Very Preterm Infants. Neonat Pediatr Med. 2015;1:105.
- Barasch A and Gordon SC. Effects of Caffeine on Salivation. Oral health case Rep. 2016;1:107.
- Narain RB, et al. Differential Gene Expression Profiling in Bed Bug (Cimex Lectularius L.) Fed on Ibuprofen and Caffeine in Reconstituted Human Blood. Entomol Ornithol Herpetol. 2015;4:160.
- Heidari A. A Thermodynamic Study on Hydration and Dehydration of DNA and RNA−Amphiphile Complexes. J Bioeng Biomed Sci. 2016;S:006.
- Vieillard P, et al. Thermo-Analytical Techniques on MX-80 Montmorillonite: A Way to Know the Behavior of Water and its Thermodynamic Properties during Hydration–DehydrationProcesses. Pharm Anal Acta. 2016;7:462.
- Julie T, et al. An Unusual Cause of Dehydration. J Gerontol Geriatr Res. 2016;5:264.
- Sangeeta S, Hathan BS. Elephant Foot Yam (Amorphophallus paeoniifolius): Osmotic Dehydration and Modelling. J Food Process Technol. 2015;6: 499.
- Agbankpe A, et al. In Vitro Antibacterial Effects of Crateva adansonii, Vernonia amygdalina and Sesamum radiatum Used for the Treatment of Infectious Diarrhoeas in Benin. J Infect Dis Ther. 2016;4:281.
- Garba S, et al. Antidiarrhoeal Activities of Some Medicinal Plants. Med chem. 2015;S2:001.
- Chilambwe M, et al. Diarrhoea Prevalence in Under Five Children in Two Urban Populations Setting of Ndola, Zambia: An Assessment of Knowledge and Attitude at the Household Level. J Infect Dis Ther. 2015;3:227.
- Bergese SD, et al. Studying the Effectiveness of Triple Therapy with Palonosetron, Dexamethasone and Promethazine for Prevention of Post-Operative Nausea and Vomiting in High Risk Patients Undergoing Neurological Surgery and General Anesthesia. J Clinic Trials. 2012;2:107.
- Beran RG. The Use of Drug Levels to Treat Cluster Seizures in Epilepsy Management. J Neurol Neurophysiol. 2011;S2.
- Dos Santos RN, et al. Crysophanol Effects on Lipid Peroxidation Levels and Catalase Activity in Mice Hippocampus after Pilocarpine-induced Seizures. J Cell Sci Ther. 2011;2:104.
- Chayasirisobhon S, et al. Efficacy of Neuromodulation Therapy with Vagus Nerve Stimulator in Patients with Drug-Resistant Epilepsy on Unchanged Antiepileptic Medication Regimen for 24 Months Following the Implant. J Neurol Neurophysiol 2015;6:268.
- Hernandez CC and Gimenez LE. GABR genes, Autism Spectrum Disorder, and Epilepsy. Autism Open Access. 2015;5:e132.
- Rubel R, et al. Epidemiology of Toxocara canis in the dog population from two different socioeconomic status, Greater Buenos Aires, Argentina. Veterinary Parasitology 2003;115:275-286.
- Saeki HH, et al. Long term survey on intestinal nematode and cestode infections in stray puppies in Ibaraki Prefecture. J vet Med Sci 1997;59:725-726.
- Shimalov VV and Shimalov VT. Helminth Fauna of the Raccoon dog (Nyctereutes procynoides Gray, 1834) in Belorussian Polesie. Parasitol Res. 2002;88:944-945.