Overview of Growth Pattern and Post-Harvest Techniques for Different Species
Department of muthayammal college of Arts and Science, Periyar University, Tamil Nadu, India
- *Corresponding Author:
- Habeeb pasha
Department of muthayammal college of Arts and Science
Periyar University, Tamil Nadu, India
Tel: 0427 234 5766
E-mail: [email protected]
Received date: 07/07/2016; Revised date: 22/07/2016; Accepted date: 28/07/2016
Visit for more related articles at Research & Reviews: Journal of Zoological Sciences
The world is surrounded with the 3/4th of the water, and one fourth with the land, even though fish production and maintenance has been ignored and this leads to the decrease in the preservation and increase in the mortality rate of the fish. Aquaculture production and research has been increased for the past few years due to unavailability of food in few countries. As the human population has increased, the extensive research on fisheries started few years to fill the gaps.The gradual increase in the fish industries lead to development of present and future generations. Though the production of consumption and development still lack in few countries due to unawareness of the fish importance and its nutritive value. Fish benefits and the easy way of cultivation can increase the rural development livelihood. The research in the area of the length weight growth pattern of fish varies in different countries, shown to determine the fish biology, growth and health status of the fishes. A wide variety of the fishes with variations in color, size, structure, growth and life span is still under research and many are unknown based on the growing pattern and adaptation to the environmental conditions, abiotic and biotic factors makes the fishes to grow and survive.
Fish, Length Weight Relationship, Preservation, Fish technology, Sperms
In the similar way, to understand the length and weight relationship in fishes can determine the status of fishes fatness and its activity [1,2]. According to the [3,4], helps to determine the conditions of the fishes in Mullet species, whereas according to the Ndimela [5-9], length weight relationship showed nine negative allometric growth pattern from lagos. The six economic fishes showed negative allometric growth pattern in ibeshe waterside in Nigeria reported by Joseph Basmidele Bolarinwa [10-16].
The species of P. daniconius, correlation coefficient found to be high indicating the healthy conditions of fish species [17-21] in upper region of Assam. Whereas growth pattern of length weight relationship for both male and female agrees with isometric growth formula [22-28]. In some fresh water fishes LWR can be determined based on locality, habitat, diet etc according to Esmaeili and Ebrahimi 2006 [29-32].
According to the reservoir habitat, the changes is in the LWR might change with respective to years [33-36]. In species L. senegalensis, the isometric growth shows same results, whereas in L.coubie (male) shown isometric growth compared to female which had negative allometric growth [37-43].
The heavy metals accumulation in the water not only affected the fishes but also human kind. The significant changes occurred with the accumulation of heavy metals with respect to length and weight [44,45].The Hg concentration affected the health condition of Limanda limanda was observed in the water [46-51].The changes in habitat of P.squamosissimus and cichla monoculus to brazil reservoir found the species healthy growth and reproduction in all seasons [52-57]. Fisheries growth can be misleading with the characters including type of sexuality, sex maturity [58-66].
Different ways for Preservation of fishes had different effect on fish
Fish processing and preservation technique includes methods like drying under the sun; salting and chemicals usage etc to aviod the post-harvest losses [67-72].These technologies were helpful to increase the profit and development of aquaculture and to produce the quality of fish according to Abdi T.G . But according to Sarkar UK, et al. the concept of conservation of aquatic resource and regulating biotic assessment helps in fish protection . Another way of cryopreservation of the fish seed production in Nigeria catfish aquaculture . Gamate preservation for reproduction for the sterile fishes, future prospects to increase young ones and their fertility helps maintaining fish population .
To reduce the post-harvest losses the offshore transport of fish increases fisheries value globally .The other way to improve the storage of fish by the application of grape and papaya extract in fishes like indian Mackrel has been benificial method . Fermented fish (Raestur Fiskur) in faroe island is significant preservation technique . The storage of the sperms and eggs for different species seems convenient method of preservation to maintain fish fertility [80-88]. Bacteriophage cocktail can be used to preserve smoked salmon [89-99].Vitrification of zebrafish (Marques Ls et al.) found no significant changes . Hence, the length and weight relationship differs among the fish species according to physiological, morphological and external condition, that may include the body shape, fish feed, aquatic environment, fish maturity, sex and seasons.
This review tries to give an overview of situations in this area of research, identifying the challenges and redirecting the reader to more in depth review of papers.
- Offem BO et al. Length-weight relationship, condition factor and sex ratio of forty six important fishes in a tropical flood river. Research journal of fisheries and hydrobiology 2009;4:65-72.
- Abowei JFN. The Condition Factor, Length–Weight Relationship and Abundance of Ilishaafricana Block, 1795 from Nkoro River Niger Delta, Nigeria. Advance Journal of Food Science and Technology 2010;2:6-11.
- Adeyemi SO. Length- Weight, Length-Length Relationship and Condition Factor of Synodontisresupinatus At Idah Area of River Niger, Nigeria. 2010;6:85-90.
- Zubia M et al. Length-Weight Relationship, Condition and Relative Condition Factor of Four Mugilid Species Family mugildae from the Karachi Coast of Pakistan. J Coast Dev 2014;17:385.
- Kumolu-Johnson CA, Ndimele PE. Length-Weight relationships and condition factors of twenty-one fish species in Ologe lagoon, Lagos, Nigeria. Asian. Journal of Agricultural Sciences 2010; 2: 174-179.
- Ming-Ming Han et al. Integrins Contributes to Innate Immune Response in Pelteobagrus Fulvidraco.Biochemistry and Physiology 2016.
- Tainá B Andreoli et al. Comb Grouper Mycteroperca acutirostris Information from Catches at Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.J Marine Sci Res Dev 2016;6:200.
- Hema K.Functional Properties of Restructured Surimi Gel Product Prepared from Low Valued Short Nose White Tripod Fish Triacanthus brevirosterus.J Food Process Technol 2016;7:597.
- Waleed M M El-Sayed.Evaluation of Bioethanol Production from Ulva lactuca By Saccharomyces cerevisiae.JBiotechnol Biomater 2016;6:226.
- Bolarinwa JB and Popoola Q. Length-Weight Relationships of Some Economic Fishes of Ibeshe Waterside, Lagos Lagoon, Nigeria. J Aquac Res Development 2013;5:203.
- Alpina Begossi et al. Collaborative Research on Dusky Grouper Epinephelus marginatus: Catches from the Small-Scale Fishery of Copacabana Beach, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil.J Coast Zone Manag2016.
- Kyuji Watanabe. In-season Forecast of Chum Salmon Return Using Smoothing Spline. Fish Aquac J 2016;7:173.
- Sandipan Gupta and Samir Banerjee. Food, Feeding Habit and Reproductive Biology of Tire-track Spiny Eel Mastacembelus armatus: A Review.J Aquac Res Development 2016;7:429.
- Agmy Beruat.Status of Seagrass Community in Coastal Area in the Kei Besar District of North-East, South-East Maluku Regency.J Aquac Res Development 2016;7:426
- Assefa Mitike Janko.Organizational Analysis in Value Chain Approach: The Integrated Organizational Model IOM.Neonat Pediatr Med2016.
- Bedaso Kebede et al. Review on Current Status of Vaccines against Parasitic Diseases of Animals.J Veterinar Sci Technol 2015;7:327.
- Dakua Sanjay. Length-Weight relationship and Condition factor of Parluciosoma daniconius Hamilton from the upper Assam, India. J fisheriessciences.com 2015.
- Mohamed S Hassaan and Magdy A Soltan. Evaluation of Essential Oil of Fennel and Garlic Separately or Combined with Bacillus licheniformis on the Growth, Feeding Behaviour, Hemato-biochemical Indices of Oreochromis niloticus L. Fry.J Aquac Res Development2016;7:422.
- Nwabunike MO.Seasonal Variation in Physicochemical Parameters on Fisheries of Ebonyi River System.J Fisheries Livest Prod 2016;4:169.
- Al-Hammady MAM and Mohamed MH.Distribution and Disease Prevalence of Coral Associated Bacteria at Some Impacted Red Sea Reefs.J Biodivers Endanger Species 2016;4:158.
- Ghorab MA and Khalil MS. The Effect of Pesticides Pollution on Our Life and Environment.J Pollut Eff Cont 2016;4:159.
- B Chandrika and N K Balasubramonian. Length-weight relationship of Xenentodon cancila Ham. Teleostei: Belonidae April 1986;95:187-190.
- Pradeepkiran Jangampalli Adi and Ã¯Â»Â¿Bhaskar Matcha.Environmental Acidification Impact on Fisheries by Changing Oxidative Markers of Liver and Intestine of Freshwater Fish Cyprinus Carpio.L.Poult Fish Wildl Sci 2016;4:1.
- Mukunda Goswami et al. Bio-banking: An Emerging Approach for Conservation of Fish Germplasm.Poult Fish Wildl Sci 2016;4:1.
- Abdel Moneim Yones M and Atallah Metwalli A. Influence of Dietary Sorghum Starch on Growth Performance, Digestibility Coefficient and some Hepatic Enzyme Activities in Hybrid Red Tilapia Oreochromis mossambicus ÃƒÂ-Oreochromis niloticus Fingerlings. Fish Aquac J 2016;7:162.
- Rohit Kumar et al. Pathological findings of experimental Aeromonas hydrophila infection in Golden Mahseer Tor putitora.Fish Aquac J 2016;7:160.
- Sandipan Gupta2016Pangasius pangasius Hamilton, 1822, A Threatened Fish of Indian Subcontinent.J Aquac Res Development 2016;7:2.
- Ming-Ming Han et al. Microfibrillar-Associated Protein 4 MFAP4 Genes in Pelteobagrus fulvidraco play a Novel Role in Innate Immune Response.Biochem Physiol 2016;5:198.
- Esmaeili H.R and Ebrahimi M. Length–weight relationships of some freshwater fishes of Iran. Journal ofApplied Ichthyology 2006;22:328-329.
- Asimi OA and Sahu NP. Effect of Antioxidant Rich Spices, Clove and Cardamom Extracts on the Metabolic Enzyme Activity of Labeo rohita.J Fisheries Livest Prod 2016;4:157.
- Stamatopoulos C and Abdallah M. Standardization of Fishing Effort in Qatar Fisheries: Methodology and Case Studies.J Marine Sci Res Dev 2015;5:170.
- Syandri H et al. Social Status of the Fish-farmers of Floating-net-cages in Lake Maninjau, Indonesia.J Aquac Res Development 2015;7:1.
- Şerife Gülsün Kırankaya, F. Güler Ekmekçi, Şükran Yalçın-Özdilek,Baran Yoğurtçuoğlu, Lale Gençoğlu,Condition, Length-Weight And Lengthlength Relationships For Five Fish Species From Hirfanli Reservoir, Turkey. J FisheriesSciences.com 2014;8:208-213.
- Ellaine C Jose et al. Zooplankton Composition and Abundance and its Relationship with Physico-chemical Parameters in Manila Bay.Oceanography 2015;3:136.
- Netti Aryani and Indra Suharman. Effect of Dietary Protein Level on the Reproductive Performance of Female of Green Catfish Hemibagrus nemurus Bagridae.J Aquac Res Development 2015;6:11.
- Elango J et al. Mechanical and Barrier Properties of Multi-Composite Shark Catfish Pangasius fungaseous Skin Gelatin Films with the Addition of Sorbitol, Clay and Chitosan Using Response Surface Methodology.J Mol Genet Med 2015;S4:004.
- Olufeagba SO et al. Some Aspects of the Biology of Labeo Coubie Ruppell, 1832 and Labeo senegalensis Valenciennes, 1842 from Lower River Benue. journal of fisheriessciences.com 2016.
- Hamouda A et al. Acoustic Survey along Heraklieon and East Canopus Ancient Greek Cities, Abu Quir Bay, Alexandria, Egypt.J Earth Sci Clim Change 2015;6:289.
- Machkevskyi Volodymyr K. Marine Parasites as an Object and as a Factor in the Problem of Invasive Species in Marine Ecosystems: Reflections on the Topic.J Biodivers Endanger Species 2015;3:154.
- Md. Nasir Uddin Miah et al. Present Status of Coastal Fisheries in Sitakunda Coast with Special Reference on Climate Change and Fish Catch.J Aquac Res Development 2015;6:9.
- Om AD et al. Molecular Characteristic of Giant Grouper Epinephelus LanceolatusVitellogenin. J Aquac Res Development 2015;6:9.
- Ramachandramohan M and Mamatha P. Impact of Biopesticde Neem Oil for Beneficial to Fisheries Resources, Studies on Skin with Neem Oil Exposure to Fresh Water Fish G. Giuris.J Fisheries Livest Prod 2015;3:132.
- Seinen Chow et al. Universal Primers for Exon-Priming Intron-Crossing EPIC PCR on Ribosomal Protein Genes in Marine Animals.J Marine Sci Res Dev 2015;5:160.
- Eroğlu M et al. Some heavy metals in the muscle of Capoeta trutta: risk assessment for the consumers. Cell Mol Biol Noisy-le-grand. 2016;62:22-26.
- Wei LL et al. [Bioaccumulation and Biomagnification of Heavy Metals in Three Gorges Reservoir and Effect of Biological Factors].Huan Jing Ke Xue. 2016; 3:325-334.
- Lang T et al. Mercury species in dab Limanda limanda from the North Sea, Baltic Sea and Icelandic waters in relation to host-specific variables. Mar Environ Res. 2016.
- Endebu M et al. Fisheries Baseline Survey Describing Status of Fisheries in Lake Zeway, Ethiopia.J Fisheries Livest Prod 2015,3:129.
- Emmanuel HL et al. Amphibian and Benthic Macro Invertebrate Response to Physical and Chemical Properties of Themi River, Arusha, Tanzania 2015.
- Mitchel Andrada. The Dynamics of Philippine Aquaculture.Fish Aquac J 2015;6:e121.
- Ragia Moussa Moussa. Invertebrate Aquaculture.Fish Aquac J 2015;6:130.
- Arabinda Mahanty et al.GC-MS Fingerprinting of Fatty Acids of Freshwater Mollusc Lamellidens Marginalis using Different Columns, TR-Waxms and TR-FAME.J Anal Bioanal Tech 2015;6:238.
- Sousa MM et al. Population structure and reproductive period of two introduced fish species in a Brazilian semiarid region reservoir.Rev Biol Trop 2015;63:727-739.
- Hetisani Chauke and Farai Mudavanhu. An Assessment of the Impacts of the Runde Water Supply on the Life and Business of the Local People. A Case Study of Lundi Business Centre in Mwenezi District, Animal Husbandry, Acoustic Survey, Bioacoustics, Dropline, Fishing Vessel, Fisheries, Gillnet, Jigging, Livestock Production, Marine, Marine Fish, Maritime Policy, Poultry, Sustainable Fishing, Trawling, Pelagic Fish, Livestock Nutrition, Biological Diversity, Fisheries Management, Sustainable fishery.J Fisheries Livest Prod 2014;3:127.
- Muhammad Arifin Dahlan et al. Morphometric And Meristic Comparison Of Decapterus Macrosoma Bleeker, 1851 From Makassar Strait And Bone Bay, South Sulawesi, Indonesia 2014.
- Karl Marx A Quiazon.Updates on Aquatic Parasites in Fisheries: Implications to Food Safety, Food Security and Environmental Protection.J Coast Zone Manag 2015.
- Chhatra M Sharma.Can Bio-Manipulation Be Related to Fisheries and Aquaculture through Environmental Pollution Perspective?Fish Aquac J 2015;6:e116
- Ashraful MAK et al. Monitoring And Assessment Of Heavy Metals Levels In Littoral Sediments From The North Eastern Part Of The Bay Of Bengal Coast, Bangladesh 2009.
- Renán X et al. Growth stanzas in an Epinephelidae-Lutjanidae complex: considerations to length-weight relationships Rev Biol Trop 2015;63:175-187.
- Athanassios C Tsikliras. Fisheries Mismanagement in the Mediterranean: A Greek Tragedy.Fish Aquac J
- Mitchel Andrada.Circles of Sustainability: A Good Market Value.Fish Aquac J 2014
- Seth Mensah Abobi and Elliot Haruna Alhassa.A Review of Fisheries-Related Human Migration in the Gulf of Guinea.J Coast Zone Manag 2015.
- Ali SM et al. Effect of El-Sail Drain Wastewater on Nile Tilapia Oreochromis niloticus from River Nile at Aswan, Egypt.J Aquac Res Development 2015;6:294.
- Jeya Kumari A. Effect of Essential Oil and Aqueous Extract of Ginger Zingiber Officinale on Oxidative Stability of Fish oil-in-Water Emulsion. J Food Process Technol 2015;6:412.
- Mahapatra BK et al. A Review on Status, Potentials, Threats and Challenges of the Fish Biodiversity of West Bengal.J Biodivers Biopros Dev 2014;2:140.
- Volodymyr K Machkevskyi et al. Marine Parasites of Omani Waters: State of knowledge.J Biodivers Endanger Species 2014;2:137.
- Assefa Mitike Janko. Fish Production, Consumption and Management in Ethiopia.Int J Econ and Manag Sci 2014.
- Oguntimehin GB.Preservation through the application of energy heat processing, Freezing, drying and radiation. Proceedings of Nigerian Food Journal 1985;2:76-81.
- IgeneJO. Notes on the traditional methods of fish preservation in Nigerian sector of Lake Chad. Proceedings of Fish Society of Nigeria 1983;3:123-130.
- Obodai EA et al. Effect of Fuel wood on the Quality of Smoked Freshwater Fish Species Sold in Tamale Central Market, Northern Region,Ghana. Ethiopian journal of environmental studies and management 2009.
- Abera Degebassa. Solar drying of fish fillet using tent in ziway. Proceedings of the12th annual conference of the Ethiopian Society of Animal Production ESAP held in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia 2004.
- Poulter RG et al. Isohalic sorption isotherms. Use in prediction of storage life of dried salted fish. Journal of food technology 1982;17:201-210.
- Daba Tugie. Challenges and Opportunities of Fishery Resource Development of Man-made water bodies in Oromia regional state, Ethiopia. ESAP proceeding 2008.
- Abdi TG. Participatory Evaluation and Verification of Improved Post Harvest Fishery Technologies on Selected Sites of Oromia water bodies. Fish Aquac J 2014;5:90.
- Sarkar UK et al. A Review on the Fish Communities in the Indian Reservoirs and Enhancement of Fisheries and Aquatic Environment. J Aquac Res Development 2015;6:297.
- Olanrewaju AN et al. Cryopreservation: A Viable Tool for Sustainable Catfish Aquaculture Industry in Nigeria. J Fisheries Livest Prod 2015;3:149.
- Asturiano JF. Progress, challenges and perspectives on fish gamete cryopreservation: A mini-review. Gen Comp Endocrinol 2016.
- Asturiano JF et al. First Production of Larvae Using Cryopreserved Sperm: Effects of Preservation Temperature and Cryopreservation on European Eel Sperm Fertilization Capacity. Reprod Domest Anim. 2016; 51:485-491.
- Stringer C et al. Shifting post production patterns: exploring changes in New Zealand's seafood processing industry. N Z Geog 2011;67:161-173.
- Sofi FR et al. All India Coordinated Research Project on Post-Harvest Technology.Antioxidant and antimicrobial properties of grape and papaya seed extracts and their application on the preservation of Indian mackerel Rastrelliger kanagurta during ice storage.J Food Sci Technol 2016;53:104-117.
- Svanberg I and Ræstur fiskur: air-dried fermented fish the Faroese way.J Ethnobiol Ethnomed 2015;11:76.
- Lee S et al. Production of viable trout offspring derived from frozen whole fish.Sci Rep 2015;5:16045.
- Sanches EG et al. Sperm cryopreservation of lane snapper Lutjanus synagris Linnaeus, 1758.Braz J Biol. 2015;75:662-669.
- Golshahi et al. Motility and fertilizing ability of cryopreserved Caspian brown trout Salmo trutta caspius sperm: Effect of post-thaw storage time and different sperm-to-egg ratios.Cryobiology 2015;71:360-363.
- Dietrich MA et al. Proteomic analysis of extracellular medium of cryopreserved carp Cyprinus carpio L. semen.Comp Biochem Physiol Part D Genomics Proteomics. 2015;15:49-57.
- Desai K et al. Use of methanol as cryoprotectant and its effect on sox genes and proteins in chilled zebrafish embryos.Cryobiology 2015;71:1-11.
- Makwana Nayan P et al. Cryopreservation of rainbow trout spermatozoa Onchorhynchus mykiss using different cryodiluents.Cryo Letters. 2015; 36:137-147.
- Maria AN et al. Use of cryotubes for the cryopreservation of tambaqui fish semen Colossoma macropomum.Cryobiology.2015;70:109-114.
- Yildiz C et al. Effect of cholesterol-loaded cyclodextrin on cryosurvival and fertility of cryopreserved carp Cyprinus carpio sperm.Cryobiology 2015;70:190-194.
- Bernáth G et al. Comparison of two different methods in the cryopreservation of Eurasian perch Perca fluviatilis sperm.Cryobiology. 2015;70:76-78.
- Park DH et al. Changes in salmon Oncorhynchus keta flesh quality following ultra-high pressure treatment and 30 d of chilled storage.J Food Sci 2015;80:M142-146.
- Liu QH et al. Summer flounder Paralichthys dentatus sperm cryopreservation and application in interspecific hybridization with olive flounder P olivaceus.Theriogenology 2015;83:703-710.
- Xu XR et al. Detection of DNA damage caused by cryopreservation using a modified SCGE in large yellow croaker, Pseudosciaena crocea.Acta Biol Hung. 2014;65:405-413.
- Ginson J et al. Effect of high pressure treatment on microbiological quality of Indian white prawn Fenneropenaeus indicus during chilled storage. Food Microbiol. 2015;46:596-603.
- Öğretmen F and İnanan BE2.Effect of butylated hydroxytoluene BHT on the cryopreservation of common carp Cyprinus carpio spermatozoa.Anim Reprod Sci. 2014;151:269-274.
- Aramli MS and Nazari RM.Motility and fertility of cryopreserved semen in Persian sturgeon, Acipenser persicus, stored for 30-60 min after thawing.Cryobiology. 2014;69:500-502.
- Kutluyer F et al. Cryopreservation of rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykiss spermatozoa: effects of extender supplemented with different antioxidants on sperm motility, velocity and fertility.Cryobiology 2014;69:462-6.
- Osipova VP et al. Cryoprotective effect of phosphorous-containing phenolic anti-oxidant for the cryopreservation of beluga sperm.Cryobiology 2014;69:467-472.
- Perera MN. Bacteriophage cocktail significantly reduces or eliminates Listeria monocytogenes contamination on lettuce, apples, cheese, smoked salmon and frozen foods.Food Microbiol 2015;52:42-48.
- Marques LS et al. Viability of zebrafish Danio rerio ovarian follicles after vitrification in a metal container. Cryobiology 2015;71:367-373.
- Desai K et al. Short-term chilled storage of zebrafish Danio rerio embryos in cryoprotectant as an alternative to cryopreservation.Zebrafish 2015;12:111-120.