Six Sigma Ã¢ÂÂ An Advancement In Management System
Satya Srinivas V*, Gayatri A, and Mounika G
Department of Pharmaceutical sciences, Andhra University, Visakhapatnam, India
- *Corresponding Author:
- Satya Srinivas V
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
Andhra University, Visakhapatnam, India
Tel: 040 474802295.
Received date: 29/07/2016; Accepted date: 28/08/2016; Published date: 06/09/2016
Visit for more related articles at Research & Reviews: Journal of Pharmaceutics and Nanotechnology
Though the processes are performing well in industries these days, but their efficiency and quality of output are not meeting high expectations, the most well-known way of doing so is to use “Six Sigma”. Six Sigma was proposed by Motorola in the 1970’s based on the concept of variability on “Germ Theory of Management” of Semmelweis. It forms a profound relation to concept of “process capability”-a process that will produce no more than 3.4 defective parts per million [yield of 99.5%]. Most companies will operate at around 1 to 2 sigma [yield between 31-69%]. In simple words, it resolves the problems of poor quality and increased production costs. In Six Sigma, each step in production is a process. It is used to determine the key variables and relate them to the improvement goals. It is a not a stand-alone methodology, but as a part of an overall Business Strategy.
Six Sigma, Variability, Process capability, Structured data analysis.
Six sigma is a statistical term used to measure the performance of products and process against customer requirements”- Brian K. Nunnally and John S.McConnell i.e., a step in the process operating at six sigma level produces only 3.4 defects per million opportunities. Six sigma is a disciplined project oriented statistically based approach for reducing variability, removing defects and eliminating waste from products and transactions [1-11].
What is Six Sigma?
It can be defined as a statistical measure that serves/ is employed to measure variation.
Full Six Sigma equals 99.9997% accuracy vs. Methodology for improving key processes [12-21].
It can also be termed as A “tool box” that is equipped with management and quality tools for problem resolution.
A business philosophy focusing on continuous development
A systematically framed process for structured data analysis [22-39].
Three generations of six sigma implementations are as follows:
1st Generation: Focusses on defect elimination and basic variability reduction. It is primarily used in manufacturing. Ex: used by Motorola
2nd Generation: Focusses on variability reduction and defect elimination and cost reduction and improves the product design. Ex: General electricity.
3rd Generation: Focusses on six sigma, creating value throughout organization [40-57].
People - Includes champions, executive leadership, master black belts, black belts, black belts, green belts, yellow belts.
Process - Based on PDCA (plan, do, check and act).
Technology - Includes large number of pre-existing tools to support statistical analysis aspect. E.x., process analysis, data collection, variation analysis etc [58-69].
Development and Impact
It involves five step solving approach:
It is used by process capability analysis, measurement systems, control charts, capability studies, experiments and basic tools [70-89].
There are 3 keys of success which was invented by Snee & Hoerl in 2003
• Top management, commitment and involvement
• Use of top talent
• Supporting infrastructure
It gives quality, eliminates waste, reduces cost, creates new products and services, developes future leaders and helps companies grow [90-100].
Design For Six Sigma
• DMAIC- Define, Measure, Analyse, Improve, Control.
• DMADV - Define, Measure, Analyse, Define, Verify.
1. Variability in product quality is reduced
2. Process accuracy and precision are improved
3. Customer’s confidence in the company’ products increases
4. Possibility of defects are reduced to a small level
5. Profitability of company increases
6. Reduces costs.
It eliminates waste, Long cycle time, waiting times between, value added work, scrap, excess inventory and can also include rework.
Variability results due to scrap and rework.
- Zhang Z and Song Z. Mining SCADA Data Offers a New Roadmap of Wind Farm Operations and Management. Ind Eng Manage. 2016;5:e134.
- Olayiwola O. Application of Variational Iteration Method to the Solution of Convection-Diffusion Equation. J Appl Computat Math. 2016;5:299.
- Rajeshwar SK, et al. An PSO Algorithm for Multi Objective Optimization of Multi-Echelon Supply Chain Network Architectures. Ind Eng Manage. 2016;5:e135.
- Bi D, et al. Quantitative Analysis of Nucleosides and Nucleobases in Deer Antler: Variation in Different Species. Pharm Anal Acta 2016;7:474.
- Ahmed Khan S and Irfan S. Quiet Heroics at the Back End: 7-Eleven Holds Its Neighborhood Edge. Ind Eng Manage. 2016;5:e136.
- Bayindir EE and Mandic PK. Medicare and Private Insurance Variations in New Medical Technology: The Case of Drug Eluting Stents. Health Econ Outcome Res Open Access. 2016;2:114.
- Adnan N, et al. Adoption of Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle among Malaysian Consumers. Ind Eng Manage. 2016;5:185.
- Mia MM and Amanat KM. Finite Element Investigation of a Bolted Extended End-Plate Moment Connection Subjected to Variation of Temperature. J Civil Environ Eng. 2016;6:225.
- Rajesh R and Srinath R. Review of Recent Developments in Ergonomic Design and Digital Human Models. Ind Eng Manage. 2016;6:186.
- Ashktorab H, et al. Targeted Exome Sequencing Outcome Variations of Colorectal Tumors within and across Two Sequencing Platforms. Next Generat Sequenc & Applic. 2016;3:123.
- Jin CLE, et al. A Self-Diagnostic System for Photovoltaic Based Highway Signage Boards and Warning Devices. Ind Eng Manage. 2016;5:189.
- Ye K, et al. Structural Variation Detection from Next Generation Sequencing . Next Generat Sequenc & Applic. 2016;S1:007.
- Jiliang L, et al. Distribution of Inventory Level on a Repairable Parts System under Performance-Based Contract. Ind Eng Manage. 2016;5:190.
- Esin A and Emel U. Comparison of the Count Regression Models in Evaluation of the Effects of Hazelnut Harvest Season Variations on Pulmonary Aspergillus. J Biom Biostat. 2016;7:278.
- Eskenasi M and Mehrandezh M. The Permutation Flow-Shop Scheduling Using a Genetic Algorithm-based Iterative Method. Ind Eng Manage. 2016;5:191.
- Hailu TG. A Multilevel Modeling Analysis of the Determinants and Cross-regional Variations of HIV Testing in Ethiopia: Ethiopian DHS 2011. J Biom Biostat. 2016;7:277.
- Slim B, et al. Characterization and Evaluation of the Potential of Limestone Jebels Bent Saidane, Bou Garnine Raous and Bridge of Fahs (North East Tunisia). Ind Eng Manage. 2016;5:192.
- Marathe SA and Murthy S. Seasonal Variation in Surface Ozone Concentrations, Meteorology and Primary Pollutants in Coastal Mega City of Mumbai, India. J Climatol Weather Forecasting. 2016;3:149.
- Gravio GD and Patriarca R. Safety Performance of Complex Systems: Lesson Learned from ATM Resilience Analysis. Ind Eng Manage. 2016;5: 193.
- Nair LS. Variation in Argument of Perigee for Near-Earth Satellite Orbits Perturbed by Earth’s Oblateness and Atmospheric Drag Interms of Ks Elements. J Aeronaut Aerospace Eng. 2016;4:146.
- Sabeti H, et al. Forecasting System Monitoring under Non-normal Input Noise Distributions. Ind Eng Manage. 2016;5:194.
- Junior LSA. Paradoxical Variation of the Solar Day Related to Kepler/Newton System. J Aeronaut Aerospace Eng. 2016;4:145.
- Fernández FG. The Use of Artificial Intelligence in Forest Product Manufacturing: A Low-cost Improvement in Competitiveness. Ind Eng Manage. 2016;5:e132.
- Veen SV, et al. Investigating Car Passenger Well-Being Related to a Seat Imposing Continuous Posture Variation. J Ergonomics. 2016;4:140.
- Assadi MK and Shamshirgaran SR. Can Nanofluids Lead to Commercial Usage in Solar Engineering. Ind Eng Manage. 2016;5:e133.
- Arficho D. Variation of Parameter Method for Solving Homogeneous Second Order Linear Ordinary Differential Equations. J Appl Computat Math. 2015;4: 258.
- Kallimani V. A Message for “Going Green” Can We Make Our Planet Sustainable and Living one Forever?. Ind Eng Manage. 2015;5:184.
- Rahman A, et al. Regional Variation of Temperature and Rainfall in Bangladesh: Estimation of Trend. J Appl Computat Math. 2015;4:245.
- Mishra A. Importance of Taguchi's Method in Optimization of Various Problems in Service Sector. Ind Eng Manage. 2015;4:e131.
- Wu X and Zhu H. A Bayesian Analysis of Copy Number Variations in Array Comparative Genomic Hybridization Data. Biomedical Data Mining. 2015;4:116.
- Makabe C, et al. Example of Arresting Crack Growth in Welded Parts. Ind Eng Manage. 2015;4:176.
- Xu L, et al. Identifying DNA Methylation Variation Patterns to Obtain Potential Breast Cancer Biomarker Genes. Biomedical Data Mining. 2015;4:115.
- Trivedi MK, et al. Evaluation of Thermal and Physical Properties of Magnesium Nitride Powder: Impact of Biofield Energy Treatment. Ind Eng Manage. 2015;4:177.
- Tadevosyan K, et al. Variations in Immediate-early Genes Encoding c-Fos, c-Jun and IER5 Transcription Factors are Associated with Ischemic Stroke. Adv Genet Eng. 2015;4:127.
- Frank M and Kordova SK. Four Layers Approach for Developing System Thinking Assessment Tool for Industrial and Systems Engineers. Ind Eng Manage. 2015;4:178.
- Kumar M. Detection of Genetic Variation in Crop Plants. J Biomol Res Ther. 2015;4:e140.
- Abohashima HS, et al. Minimization of Defects Percentage in Injection Molding Process using Design of Experiment and Taguchi Approach. Ind Eng Manage. 2015;4:179.
- ElAmin EE, et al. Variation in Wood Structure of Acacia senegal (L.) Willd Under Different Rainfall Levels in Western Sudan. Forest Res. 2015;4:141.
- Butdee S and Kullawong T. Life Prediction of a Spindle CNC Machining Centre Using Natural Frequency Method of Vibration. Ind Eng Manage. 2015;4:180.
- Salahuddin. Sensitivity Analysis for General Nonlinear Nonconvex Variational Inequalities. J Appl Computat Math. 2015;4:206.
- Al-Sanousi M and Pirim H. Distance Constrained Location Problems. Ind Eng Manage. 2015;4:181.
- Souaya EMR, et al. Seasonal Variation of Trihalomethanes Levels in Greater Cairo Drinking Water. Mod Chem appl. 2015;3:149.
- Ganesan T, et al. Non-Gaussian Random Generators in Bacteria Foraging Algorithm for Multiobjective Optimization. Ind Eng Manage. 2015;4:182.
- Kothari R, et al. Application of Next Generation Sequencing Technologies in Revealing Plant-Microbe Interactions. Next Generat Sequenc & Applic. 2016;3:e108.
- Lu S. Remaining Useful Life and Performance Reliability Online Assessment. Ind Eng Manage. 2014;3:e126.
- Chang KCN, et al. Validation of Next Generation Sequencing Cancer Panels for Clinical Somatic Mutation Profiling- Identification of Source of Variations and Artifacts using FFPE Tissues. Next Generat Sequenc & Applic. 2014;1:109.
- Türksen IB. From Hierarchy of the Levels of Theoretical Inquiry to Full Type 2 Fuzzy System Models. Ind Eng Manage. 2014;3:133.
- Brookes K, et al. Identifying Polymorphisms in the Alzheimer's Related APP Gene Using the Minion Sequencer. Next Generat Sequenc & Applic. 2016;3:125.
- Kadlec J, et al. RFID Modular System for the Internet of Things (IoT). Ind Eng Manage. 2014;3:134.
- Sinakosa ZM and Geromichalosb GD. The Effect of Saffron (Crocus sativus) Carotenoids on Hemostasis and Atherosclerosis. Next Generat Sequenc & Applic. 2016;3:127.
- Kadadevaramath RS, et al. A Study on Implementation of IT Tools in SME’S in India. Ind Eng Manage. 2014;3:135.
- Suma J and Sivakumar G. Next Generation Sequencing-Current Status. Next Generat Sequenc & Applic. 2016;3:e107.
- Al Menhali, et al. Simulation of the Effects of Turbine Exhaust Recirculation on the Composition of Flue Gas for a CO2 Capture Unit. Ind Eng Manage. 2014;3:136.
- Donald MR and Wilson SR. On Evaluation of Rankings in Analysis of NGS Data. Next Generat Sequenc & Applic. 2016;S1:003.
- Rábago-Remy DM, et al. Statistical Quality Control and Process Capability Analysis for Variability Reduction of the Tomato Paste Filling Process. Ind Eng Manage. 2014;3:137.
- Ansorge WJ. Next Generation DNA Sequencing (II): Techniques, Applications. Next Generat Sequenc & Applic. 2016;S1:005.
- Syimun Hasan Mehidi, et al. An Application of Artificial Neural Network (ANN) Process to Assess Risk in Cement Industries in Bangladesh. Ind Eng Manage. 2014;3: 138.
- Lee BS and Salahuddin S. A General System of Regularized Nonconvex Variational Inequalities. J Appl Computat Math. 2014;3:169.
- Tamir A. What is Mass and it’s Conservation Law. Ind Eng Manage. 2014;3:139.
- Alzaman C. Effect of Excluding Travel Time Variations in Urban Areas on Emissions. Ind Eng Manage. 2013;2:114.
- Merdan M. A Numeric–Analytic Method for Fractional Order Nonlinear PDE’s With Modified Riemann-Liouville Derivative by Means of Fractional Variational Iteration Method. J Appl Computat Math. 2012;1:113.
- Luhandjula MK. Some New Trends in Multiobjective Programming Problems Under Uncertainty. Ind Eng Manage. 2013;2:e116.
- Gil M. Exponential Stability of Nonlinear Nonautonomous Multivariable Discrete Systems. J Appl Computat Math. 2016;5:297.
- Wei CC. Data Mining for Industrial Engineering and Management. Ind Eng Manage. 2013;2:e117.
- Faragó I. Some Notes on the Sequence Acceleration. J Appl Computat Math. 2016;5:303.
- Al-Aomar R. An Enhanced QFD Approach for Improving Water Tanks Sustainability at a Local Water Distributor. Ind Eng Manage. 2013;2: 113.
- Hendi FA, et al. Homotopy Perturbation and Adomian Decomposition Methods for a Quadratic Integral Equations with Erdelyi-Kober Fractional Operator. J Appl Computat Math. 2016;5:306.
- Alzaman C. Effect of Excluding Travel Time Variations in Urban Areas on Emissions. Ind Eng Manage 2013;2:114.
- Lubis MZ, et al. Haar Wavelet Method to Spectral Analysis Continuous Wavelet Transform 1D Using Whistle Sound to Position of Dolphins (Tursiops aduncus). J Appl Computat Math. 2016;5:305.
- Alhammadi YS, et al. Neural Network Control Chart Architecture for Monitoring Non-Conformities in a Poisson Process. Ind Eng Manage. 2013;2:115.
- Ganie AH, et al. New Type of Riesz Sequence Space of Non-absolute Type. J Appl Computat Math. 2016;5:280.
- Al Wahedi FSAA and Dadach ZE. Cost Effective Strategies to Reduce CO2 Emissions in the UAE: A Literature Review. Ind Eng Manage. 2013;2:116.
- Olayiwola MO. A Computational Method for the Solution of Nonlinear Burgers’ Equation Arising in Longitudinal Dispersion Phenomena in Fluid Flow through Porous Media. J Appl Computat Math. 2016;5:284.
- Badri MA, et al. Technology Readiness of School Teachers - An Empirical Study of Measurement and Segmentation. Ind Eng Manage. 2016;2:117.
- Marangu PK, et al. Modeling Open Channel Fluid Flow with Trapezoidal Cross Section and a Segment Base. J Appl Computat Math. 2016;5:292.
- Sánchez AS. The Importance of Ergonomics in Industrial Engineering. Ind Eng Manage. 2014;3:e121.
- Aouag H, et al. Analysis of competitiveness level in an industrial company using a continuous improvement-based approach. Int. J. of Six Sigma and Competitive Advantage. 2014;9:87–108.
- Shaarabh M, et al. A Review on Measurement of Agility. Ind Eng Manage. 2014;3:121.
- Liem Ferryanto. Structuring a design for Six Sigma project: paper helicopter robust and optimal design. Int. J. of Six Sigma and Competitive Advantage. 2015;9:150-173.
- Citarella R, et al. FEM Simulation of a FML Full Scale Aeronautic Panel Undergoing Static Load. Ind Eng Manage. 2014;3:122.
- Talankar A, et al. Modelling the clusters of critical success factors of Six Sigma for non-formal service sectors using interpretive structural modeling. Int. J. of Six Sigma and Competitive Advantage. 2015;9:222-240.
- EDeGroote S and Marx TG. The Mediating Effect of Agility: IT’s Impact on Firm Performance among U.S. Manufacturing Firms. Ind Eng Manage. 2014;3:123.
- Sen P. Application of ANN in Six Sigma for CO modelling and energy efficiency of blast furnace: a case study of an Indian pig iron manufacturing organization. Int. J. of Six Sigma and Competitive Advantage. 2015;9:109-125.
- Gidey E, et al. The Plan-Do-Check-Act Cycle of Value Addition. Ind Eng Manage. 2014;3:124.
- Van den Bos A, et al. Generic Lean Six Sigma project definitions for the construction industry. Int. J. of Six Sigma and Competitive Advantage. 2014;9:257-273.
- Khan K. A Model for Taking Decision for Rejuvenation of Machine Tools. Ind Eng Manage. 2015;4:148.
- Ozelkan EC and Mayhorn J. Using lean Six Sigma methodology to empower students for executing departmental initiatives. Int. J. of Six Sigma and Competitive Advantage. 2014;8:176-202.
- Tamir A. The Phenomenon of Zoology via Art. Ind Eng Manage. 2015;4:149.
- Kovach JV, et al. 'Flipping' the Lean Six Sigma classroom Int. J. of Six Sigma and Competitive Advantage. 2014;8:227–246.
- Tamir A. Newton’s 2nd Law. Ind Eng Manage. 2015;4:150.
- Sunder MV. Quality excellence in higher education system through Six Sigma: student team engagement model. Int. J. of Six Sigma and Competitive Advantage. 2014;8:247-256.
- Trivedi MK, et al. Effect of Biofield Treatment on the Physical and Thermal Characteristics of Aluminium Powders. Ind Eng Manage. 2015;4:151.
- Shah PP and Shrivastava RL. Identification of performance measures of Lean Six Sigma in small- and medium-sized enterprises: a pilot study. Int. J. of Six Sigma and Competitive Advantage. 2013;1:1-21.
- Pan X. Customer-Defined Quality and Quality-Based Product Portfolio A Theoretical Framework on Quality. Ind Eng Manage. 2015;4:152.
- Kanigolla D, et al. Project based learning for quality and Six Sigma education. Int. J. of Six Sigma and Competitive Advantage. 2013;8:51-68.
- Gupta S and Kaur G. Designing and Installation of Low-cost Optimized Wind Monitoring System. Ind Eng Manage. 2015;4:153.
- Bhat S and Jnanesh NA. Enhancing performance of the health information department of a hospital using lean Six Sigma methodology. Int. J. of Six Sigma and Competitive Advantage. 2013;8:34-50.
- Prabhu M and Ramesh Kumar K. Machine Vision of Clustering Identical Parts in Cellular Manufacturing. Ind Eng Manage. 2015;4:154.
- Huynh N and Vidal JM. A novel methodology for modelling yard cranes at seaport terminals to support planning and real-time decision making. Int. J. of Six Sigma and Competitive Advantage. 2012;7:62-91.
- Torkjazi M and Fazlollahtabar H. A Fuzzy Probabilistic Maximum Technique to Optimize an Unconstrained Utility Based Multi Objective Model. Ind Eng Manage. 2015;3:147.