P. Udaya Lakshmi*
Montessori shiva shivani college of Pharmacy, Guntur.
Received: 04 May 2015 Accepted: 27 May 2015 Published: 02 June 2015
Visit for more related articles at Research & Reviews: Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry
Tulsi, Ocimum, asthma
Ocimum tenuiflorum, also called Ocimum sanctum, holy basil, or tulasi, is associate degree aromatic plant within the Labiatae that is native to the Indian landmass and widespread as a tracheophyte throughout the Southeast Asian tropics.[1-5] it's an erect, several branched suffrage, 30–60 cm tall with furry stems and straightforward opposite inexperienced or purple leaves that area unit powerfully scented. Leaves have petioles and area unit ovate, up to five cm long, typically slightly toothed. The flowers area unit violet in elongate racemes in shut whorls. The 2 main morphotypes cultivated in India and Kingdom of Nepal area unit green-leaved (Sri or Hindu deity tulasi) and purple-leaved (Krishna tulasi)
The holy basil is additionally a flavoring remedy for lots of common ailments. Here're prime fifteen healthful uses of tulsi.
1. Healing Power: The tulsi plant has many medicinal properties. The leaves area unit a nerve tonic and additionally sharpen memory. 
2. Fever & Common Cold: The leaves of basil square measure specific for several fevers. Throughout the season, once protozoal infection and dengue square measure wide prevailing, tender leaves, cooked with tea, act as preventive against these diseases. 
3. Respiratory Disorder: The herb is beneficial within the treatment of system disorder. A decoction of the leaves, with honey and ginger is a good remedy for respiratory disease, asthma, influenza, cough and cold .
4. Excretory organ Stone: Basil has strengthening impact on the excretory organ. just in case of urinary organ stone the juice of basil leaves and honey, if taken often for six months it'll expel them via the tract .
5. Heart Disorder: Basil incorporates a helpful result in viscus sickness and also the weakness ensuing from them. It reduces the amount of blood steroid alcohol .
6. Children's Ailments: Common pediatric issues like cough cold, fever, diarrhea and vomiting respond favorably to the juice of basil leaves. If pustules of chicken pox delay their look, basil leaves smitten saffron can hasten them .
7. Stress: Basil leaves area unit thought to be associate degree 'adaptogen' or anti-stress agent. Recent studies have shown that the leaves afford vital protection against stress .
9. Insect Bites: The herb is a prophylactic or preventive and curative for insect stings or bites. A teaspoonful of the juice of the leaves is taken and is repeated after a number of hours .
11. Teeth Disorder: The herb is beneficial in teeth disorders. Its leaves, dried within the sun and small-grained, are used for brushing teeth. It may be mixed with mustered oil to form a paste and used as dentifrice .
13. Eye Disorders: Basil juice is a good remedy for sore eyes and night-blindness, which is mostly caused by deficiency of fat-soluble vitamin. 2 drops of black basil juice area unit place into the eyes daily at time of day .
14. Treats Skin Issues: Tulsi works fine on disease of the skin, skin disorder associated pimples and lots of cosmetic firms use Tulsi as an ingredient in skin ointments attributable to its anti-bacterial properties. Individuals plagued by itch and disease of the skin ought to drink Tulsi juice to assist cure it .
15. Prevents Inflammation: Tulsi leaves contain anti-bacterial and anti-fungal compounds. A paste manufactured from Tulsi leaves alongside wood paste and essence will be applied on the face because it helps to forestall inflammation .
There are varied uses of Tulsi plant. The plant is progressively finding its approach in the Ayurvedic treatment of diseases. Tulsi leaves are widely used because of their healing power. It is a tonic for the nervous system and so, helps an excellent deal in sharpening the memory. This aromatic plant supports the removal of phlegm and rubor matter from the cartilaginous tube. It also works wonders in preventing stomach disorders. The herb Tulsi is glorious to cure the metabolic process disorders. The simmering ready by mix honey, ginger and Tulsi leaves is sort of useful in combating respiratory disease, contagion and asthma attack.