Short Review on Meloxicam
D Ram vinod Naik*
Department Microbiology, Sri Krishna Devaraya University, Anantapur, India
- *Corresponding Author:
- D Ram vinod Naik
Department Microbiology, Sri Krishna Devarya University, Anantapur, India.
E-mail: [email protected]
Received date: 09/08/2016; Revised date: 09/09/2016; Accepted date: 13/09/2016
Visit for more related articles at Research & Reviews: Journal of Veterinary Sciences
Meloxicam is a non-steroidal drug (NSAID) with pain relieving and fever reducer impacts. It is a subsidiary of oxicam, firmly identified with piroxicam, and falls in the enolic corrosive gathering of NSAIDs. It was produced by Boehringer-Ingelheim. Meloxicam begins to ease torment around 30-60 minutes after administration [1-10].
Meloxicam use can bring about gastrointestinal harmfulness and dying, cerebral pains, rash, and extremely dim or dark stool (an indication of intestinal dying). Like different NSAIDs, its utilization is connected with an expanded danger of cardiovascular occasions, for example, heart assault and stroke [11-26]. It has less gastrointestinal reactions than diclofenac, piroxicam, naproxen, and maybe all different NSAIDs which are not COX-2 specific. Despite the fact that meloxicam inhibits thromboxane, it doesn't seem to do as such at level that would meddle with platelet capacity [26-36].
A pooled examination of randomized, controlled investigations of meloxicam treatment of up to 60 days term found that meloxicam was connected with a factually altogether bring down number of thromboembolic inconveniences than the NSAID diclofenac (0.2% versus 0.8% individually) yet a comparative occurrence of thromboembolic occasions to naproxen and piroxicam [37-52].
Mechanism of action
Meloxicam pieces cyclooxygenase (COX), the chemical in charge of changing over arachidonic corrosive into prostaglandin H2—the initial phase in the amalgamation of prostaglandins, which are go between of aggravation [53-67] (Figure 1). Meloxicam has been appeared, particularly at its low remedial measurements, specifically to repress COX-2 over COX-1.
Figure 1. Structure of Meloxicam.
Meloxicam fixations in synovial liquid reach from 40% to half of those in plasma. The free part in synovial liquid is 2.5 times higher than in plasma, because of the lower egg whites content in synovial liquid when contrasted with plasma. The hugeness of this entrance is unknown [68-78] yet it might represent the way that it performs extraordinarily well in treatment of joint inflammation in creature models
Meloxicam is likewise utilized as a part of the veterinary field, most generally in pooches and felines, additionally sees off-name use in different creatures, for example, steers and exotics. The U.S. Sustenance and Drug Administration sent a Notice of Violation to the producer for its limited time materials which included advancement of the medication for off-name use. In the U.S. the medication is shown for administration of torment and aggravation connected with osteoarthritis in pooches as it were [79-85]. In Europe, where the item has been accessible since the mid-1990s, it is likewise recommended and authorized for other calming benefits including help from both intense and ceaseless agony in canines. Reactions in creatures are like those found in people; the chief symptom is gastrointestinal disturbance (regurgitating, loose bowels and ulceration). Rarer yet essential reactions incorporate liver and kidney lethality.
Since 2003, the oral (fluid) definitions of meloxicam have been authorized in the U.S for use in puppies just, with the January 2005 item embed particularly cautioning in intense face sort: "Don't use in felines" [86-93]. An injectable detailing for use in mutts was affirmed by the FDA in November 2003, with a plan for felines, for surgical utilize just, endorsed in October 2004.
In the U.S., per the producer's clinical directions starting July 2010, injectable meloxicam is shown in agent use with cats as a solitary, one-time dosage just, with particular and rehashed notices not to oversee a second measurements [94-100]. In June 2007, another oral variant of meloxicam was authorized in Europe for the long haul help of agony in felines. As of June 2008, meloxicam is enrolled for long haul use in felines in Australia, New Zealand, and all through Europe. A companion inspected diary article refers to cat overdose of NSAIDs, including meloxicam, similar to a reason for serious kidney harm in felines. The pharmacokinetics of meloxicam has been investigated in koalas (Phascolarctos cinereus).
Meloxicam has been examined as another option to Diclofenac by the RSPB to counteract passings of vultures. Meloxicam is the dynamic guideline of the pharmaceutical Mobic.
- Srivastava R, et al. Colonic luminal surface retention of meloxicam microsponges delivered by erosion based colon-targeted matrix tablet. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2012;427:153-162.
- Kumar Shukla R and Tiwari A. Carbohydrate Polymers: Applications and recent advances in delivering drugs to the colon. Carbohydrate Polymers. 2012;88:399-416.
- Patel MM and Amin AF. Formulation and development of release modulated colon targeted system of meloxicam for potential application in the prophylaxis of colorectal cancer. Drug Deliv. 2011;18:281-293.
- Tsujii M. COX-2 inhibitor and colon cancer. Gan to Kagaku Ryoho. 2001;28:1799-1805.
- Gao C, et al. In vitro release an in vivo absorption in Beagle dogs of Meloxicam from Eudragit FS 30 D-coated pellets. Int J Pharm. 2006;322:104-112.
- Mishra DN and Vijaya Kumar SG. Preparation, characterization and in vitro dissolution studies of solid dispersion of meloxicam with PEG 6000.Yakugazu Zasski. 2006;127:495-498.
- Bauer C, et al. Pharmacokinetics of 3 formulations of meloxicam in cynomolgus macaques (Macacafascicularis). J Am Assoc Lab AnimSci. 2014;53:502-511.
- Vijaya Kumar SG and Mishra DN. Analgesic, antiinflamatory and ulcerogenic studies of meloxicam solid dispersion prepared with polyethylene glycol 6000. Methods Find ExpClinPharmacol. 2006;28:419-422.
- Ingrao JC, et al. Aqueous stability and oral pharmacokinetics of meloxicam and carptofen in male C57BL/6 mice. J Am Assoc Lab AnimSci. 2013;52:553-559.
- Kendall LV, et al. Pharmacokinetics of sustained-release analgesics in mice. J Am Assoc Lab Anim Sci. 2014;53:478-484.
- Gruen ME, et al. Detection of clinical relevant pain relief in cats with degenerative joint disease associated pain. J Vet Inter Med. 2014;28:346-350.
- SengelTürk CT, et al. Preparation and in vitro evaluation of meloxicam-loaded PLGA nanoparticles on HT-29 human colon adenocarcinoma cells. Drug DevInd Pharm. 2012;38:1107-1116.
- Goldman AP, et al. Meloxicam inhibits the growth of colorectal cancer cells. Carcinogenesis. 1998;19:2195-2199.
- Tsubouchi Y, et al. Meloxicam inhibits the growth of non-small cell lung cancer. Anticancer Res. 2000;20:2867-2872.
- Jain V and Singh R. Development and characterization of Eudragit RS100 loaded microsponges and its colonic delivery using natural polysaccharides. Acta Pol. Pharm: Drug Res. 2010;67:407-415.
- Woraphatphadung T, et al. pH-Responsive polymeric micelles based on amphiphilic chitosan derivatives: Effect of hydrophobic cores on oral meloxicam delivery. Int. J. Pharm. 2016;497:150-160.
- Palugan L, et al. Coated pellets for oral colon delivery, J Drug Del Sci Tech. 2015;25:1-15.
- Busch U, et al. Pharmacokinetics of meloxicam in animals and the relevance to humans. Drug MetabDispos. 1998;26: 576-584.
- European Agency for the Evaluation of Medicinal Products (EMEA) Committee for Veterinary Medicinal Products, Meloxicam: Maximum Residue Limit (MRL) Summary Report. 2009.
- Lees P, et al. Pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics of meloxicam in horse. Br Vet J. 1991;147:97-108.
- Toutain PL, et al. Pharmacokinetics of meloxicam in plasma and urine of horses. Am J Vet Res. 2004;65:1542-1547.
- Sinclair MD, et al. Comparative pharmacokinetics of meloxicam in clinically normal horses and donkeys. Am J Vet Res. 2006;67:1082-1085.
- Malreddy PR, et al. Pharmacokinetics and milk secretion of gabapentin and meloxicam co-administered orally in Holstein-Friesian cows. J Vet PharmacolTher. 2013;36:14-20.
- Mody SK and Patel HA. HPLC analysis and pharmaciokinetics of meloxicam in buffalo calves.J Vet PharmacolToxicol. 2007;6:15-18.
- Shukla M, et al. Comparative plasma pharmacokinetics of meloxicam in sheep and goats following intravenous administration. CompBiochemPhysiol C ToxicolPharmacol. 2007;145:528-532.
- Fosse TK, et al. Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of meloxicam in piglets. J Vet PharmacolTher. 2008;31:246-252.
- Ziegler LE, et al. Meloxicam: a review of its pharmacokinetics, efficacy and tolerability following intramuscular administration. Inflamm Res. 2001;50:S5-9.
- Meineke I and Turck D. Population pharmacokinetic studies of meloxicam in rheumatoid arthritis patients. Br J ClinPharmacol. 2003;55:32-38.
- Chinnadurai SK, et al. Meloxicam pharmacokinetic using non-linear mixed effect modelling in ferrets after single subcutaneous administration. J Vet PharmacolTher. 2014;37:382-387.
- Langtry HD and Lamb HM. Levofloxacin: its use in infections of the respiratory tract, skin, soft tissues and urinary tract. Drugs. 1998;56:487-515.
- Hirai S, et al. Adverse drug interaction between pyridone carboxylic acids and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs: Convulsions after oral or intracerebral administration in mice. YakugakuZasshi. 1989;109:119-126.
- Parikh V, et al. Effect of aspirin on single and multiple dose pharmacokinetics of ciprofloxacin in rabbits. Indian J Pharmacol. 1996;28:25-28.
- Dumka VK, et al. Effect of gatifloxacin on the pharmacokinetics of meloxicam in buffalo calves. Indian J AnimSci. 2007;77:1270-1272.
- Toppo R, et al. Effects of concurrent administration of meloxicam on pharmacokinetic parameters of enrofloxacin in turkeys. J Bioanal Biomed. 2011;3:108-112.
- Ahmed FA, et al. Effect of intramuscular diclofenac sodium on pharmacokinetics of intravenous enrofloxacin in calves. Indian J Pharmacol. 2005;37:189-190.
- Dasandi B, et al. LC determination and pharmacokinetics of meloxicam. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2002;28:999-1004.
- Baggot JD. Principles of drug disposition in domestic animals: The basis of veterinary clinical pharmacology. WB Saunders Co, Philadelphia, USA. 1977.
- Gibaldi M and Perrier D. Pharmacokinetics. (2nd Edition) Marcel-Dekker Inc, New York, USA. 1982.
- Snedecor GW and Cochran WG. Statistical Methods.Oxford and IBH publishing Co, New Delhi. 1967.
- Baert K and De Backer P. Comparative pharmacokinetics of three non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs in five bird species. Comp Biochem. Physiol C ToxicolPharmacol. 2003;134:25-33.
- Yadav RS, et al. Influence of ofloxacin on the disposition kinetics of meloxicam following single intravenous administration in goats. VeterinarskiArhiv. 2014;84:625-635.
- Verma R, et al. Pharmacokinetics of enrofloxacin and ciprofloxacin as a metabolite and its interaction with meloxcam in Jamunapari goats. J Vet PharmacolToxicol. 2007;6:11-14.
- Pairet M, et al. Differential inhibition of cyclooxygenase-1 and 2 by meloxicam and its 4'- isomer. Inflamm Res. 1998;47:270-276.
- Ahuja S. In: Impurities evaluation of pharmaceuticals. Marcel Dekker Inc New York. 2006;1-10.
- British pharmacopoeia. CD-ROM version 2007.
- Nemutlu E and Kır S. Validated Determination of Meloxicam in Tablets by Using UV Spectrophotometry. Hacettepe University Journal of The Faculty of Pharmacy. 2004;24:13-24.
- Nemutlu E and Kir S. Method development and validation for the analysis of meloxicam in tablets by CZE. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2003;31:393-400.
- NageswaraRao R, et al. An overview of the recent developments in analytical methodologies for determination of COX-2 inhibitors in bulk drugs, pharmaceuticals and biological matrices. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2005;39:349-363.
- Zawilla NH, et al. Determination of meloxicam in bulk and pharmaceutical formulations. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2003;32:1135-1144.
- Nemutlu E, et al. A Validated Hplc Method for the Determination of Meloxicam in Pharmaceutical Preparations.Hacettepe University Journal of the Faculty of Pharmacy. 2007;27:107-118.
- Vignaduzzo SE, et al. Method development and validation for the simultaneous determination of meloxicam and pridinolmesylate using RP-HPLC and its application in drug formulations. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2008;46:219-225.
- Bae JW, et al. Determination of meloxicam in human plasma using a HPLC method with UV detection and its application to a pharmacokinetic study. J Chromatogr B AnalytTechnol Biomed Life Sci. 2007;859:69-73.
- Dasandi BS, et al. LC determination and pharmacokinetics of meloxicam. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2002;28:999-1004.
- Velpandian T, et al. Development and validation of a new high-performance liquid chromatographic estimation method of meloxicam in biological samples. J Chromatogr B Biomed Sci Appl. 2000;738:431-436.
- Alvarenga LFD, et al. Tablet identification using near-infrared spectroscopy (NIRS) for pharmaceutical quality control. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2008;48:62-69.
- Emirhannemulla S. Validated Determination of meloxicam in tablet by using UV spectrophotometry. Journal of The Faculty Of Pharmacy. 2004;24:13-24.
- Farzana SB and Pradeep RV. A Stability indicating HPLC method for the determination of meloxicam in bulk and commercial formulation. Trop J Pharm Res. 2009;8:257-64.
- Gasilova NV and Eramin SA. Determination of chloramphenicol in milk by a fluorosence polarization immuno assay.Flouroscence spectroscopy. 2006;4:449-96.
- Ramos MMP, et al. Determination of chloramphenicol residues in shrimps by liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr B AnalytTechnol Biomed Life Sci. 2003;791:31-38.
- Boyd BBH, et al. Development of an improved method for trace analysis of chloramphenicol using molecularly imprinted polymers. J Chromatogr A. 2007;1174:63-71.
- Resnick GL, et al. Determination of serum chloramphenicol utilizing gas-liquid chromatography and electron capture spectrometry. Anal Chem. 1966;38:582-585.
- Morelli B. Spectrophotometric assay for chloramphenicol and some derivatives in the pure form and in formulations. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 1987;5:577-583.
- Little SE. Myiasis in Wild Birds. Parasitic Diseases of Wild Birds(ed. by Atkinson CT, Thomas NJ, Hunter DB). Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford. 2009;546-556.
- Parchami-Araghi M, et al. New records of Iranian Calliphoridae and Sarcophagidae, with a guide to the males of PalaearcticProtocalliphora (Diptera: Calyptratae). Bulletin of the Royal Spanish Society of Natural History ( Section Biological ). 2001;96:175-181.
- Sabrosky CW, et al. Bird Blow Flies (Protocalliphora) in North America (Diptera: Calliphoridae) with notes on the Palearctic species. Smithsonian Institute Press, Washington, D.C. 1989.
- Zumpt F. Myiasis in Man and Animals in the Old World. Butterworths and Co., Ltd., London. 1965.
- Parchami-Araghi M. The blow flies of the subfamily Chrysomyinae (Diptera: Calliphoridae) in Iran. Journal of Entomological Society of Iran. 1995;15:27-44.
- Parchami-Araghi M. First report of fatal wound myiasis caused by Chrysomyabezziana (Dip.: Calliphoridae) in Persian Fallow Deer populations in Iran. Fly Times. 2013;51:9-13.
- Baumgartner DL. Review of myiasis (Insecta: Diptera: Calliphoridae, Sarcophagidae) of Nearctic wildlife. Wildlife Rehabilitation. 1988;7:3-46.
- Cooper JE. Veterinary aspects of Captive Birds of Prey.Standfast Press, Gloucestershire, UK. 1978.
- Hinaidy HK and Frey H. Facultative myiasis in wild-living animals as a result of injuries. Communications of the Society for Tropical Medicine and OsterrelschischenParasitologia. 1982;4:85-90.
- Hinaidy HK and Frey H. Further cases of facultative myiasis in vertebrates in Austria.Wiener TierarztlicheMonatsschrift. 1984;71:237-238.
- Eschele JL and Defoliart GR. Rearing and biology of Wohlfahrtia vigil (Diptera: Sarcophagidae). Annals of the Entomological Society of America. 1965;58:849-855.
- Wobeser G, et al. Myiasis by Wohlfahrtiaopaca (Coq.): A cause of mortality of newly hatched wild ducklings. Canadian Field Naturalist. 1981;95:471-473.
- Farkas R, et al. Traumatic myiasis of geese in Hungary. Veterinary Parasitology. 2001;95:45-52.
- Pirali-Kheirabadi K, et al. Infestation of an owl (Bubo Bubo) with Lucilia spp. Comparative Clinical Pathology. 2010;19:221-224.
- Galushin V, et al. Aquila heliaca. The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Bird Life International Version 2014;2.
- Hamidi N and Musavi SB. Status of Imperial Eagle Aquila heliaca and Greater Spotted Eagle Aquila clanga in Hormozgan Province, southern Iran. Podoces. 2006;1:67-70.
- Scott DA. The birds of Shadegan marshes and adjacent tidal mudflats, Islamic Republic of Iran: the result of surveys carried out by the Ornithology Unit of the Department of the Environment in the 1970s. 2001.
- Craig Turner Jr E. Method of clearing Dipthera larvae for examination of internal structures. Journal of Agricultural Entomology. 1990;7:217-219.
- Holloway BA. Identification of third-instar larvae of flystrike and carrion-associated blow flies in New Zealand (Dipthera: Calliphoridae). New Zealand Entomologist. 1991;14:24-28.
- Wallman JF. Third-instar larvae of common carrion-breeding blowflies of the genus Calliphora (Diptera: Calliphoridae) in South Australia. Invertebrate Taxonomy. 2001;15:37-51.
- Szpila K. Key for the identification of third instars of European and Mediterranean blowflies (Diptera, Calliphoridae) of forensic importance. Current concepts in forensic entomology (ed. by Amendt J, Campobasso CP, Goff ML, Grassberger M), pp. 43-56.Springer, Dordrecht, Heidelberg, London, New York. 2010.
- OIE. Bovine brucellosis.OIE Terrestrial Manual.OIE- The World Organization for Animal Health.Paris France. 2009.
- Halling SM and Young EJ. Chapter 3 - Brucella. In: Hui YH, Gorham JR, Murrell KD, and Cliver DO (eds.). Foodborne Disease Handbook - Disease caused by Bacteria. Marcel Dekker, Inc, New York: 1994;63-69.
- Cork SC and Checkley S. Zoonotic pathogens in the food chain. CABI, Wallingford. 2010.
- Akakpo AJ and Bornarel P. Epidemiology of brucellosis animals in tropical Africa: Clinical investigations, serological and bacteriological. Rev. Sci. Tech. Off. Int. Epiz. 1987;6:981-1027.
- Kashiwazaki Y, et al. Epidemiology of Bovine Brucellosis by a Combination of Rose Bengal Test and Indirect ELISA in the Five Districts of Uganda. J. Vet. Med. Sci. 2012;74:1417–1422.
- Chachra D, et al. Comparative efficacy of Rose Bengal plate test, standard tube agglutination test and Dot ELISA in immunological detection of antibodies to Brucellaabortus in sera. Journal of Bacteriology Research. 2009;1:030-033.
- Gall D and Nielsen K. Serological diagnosis of bovine brucellosis: a review of test performance and cost comparison. Rev. sci. tech. Off. int. Epiz. 2004;23 :989-1002.
- Jacques I, et al. Efficacy of ELISA compared to conventional tests (RBPT and CFT) for the diagnosis of Brucellamelitensis infection in sheep. Vet. Microbiol. 1998;64:61 - 73.
- Nizeyimana G, et al. Comparative Brucellaabortus antibody prevalence in cattle under contrasting husbandry practices in Uganda. Journal of the South African Veterinary Association. 2013;84:1-5.
- Junaidu AU and Garba HS. Application of Competitive Elisa (Compelisa) Rose Bengal Plate Test (RBPT) and Serum Agglutination Test (SAT) for Detection of Antibodies to Brucella Infection in Slaughter Cattle in Sokoto, Nigeria. Sahel J. Vet. Sci. 2006;5:9- 12.
- Mangen MJ, et al. Bovine brucellosis in Sub-Saharan Africa: Estimation of sero-prevalence and impact on meat and milk off take potential Food and Agriculture Organization Livestock Information and Policy Branch, AGAL. Livestock Policy Discussion Paper No. 8. 2002.
- Chatikobo P, et al. The prevalence of bovine brucellosis in milking dairy herds in Nyagatare and its implications on dairy productivity and public health. The 3rd International Conference on Appropriate Technology (3rd ICAT) 2008.
- Rujeni N and Mbanzamihigo L. Prevalence of brucellosis among women presenting with abortion/stillbirth in Huye, Rwanda. Journal of Tropical Medicin 2014:1-3.
- Akakpo JA and NdourApn. Bovine brucellosis in West and Central Africa: current status. African Journal of Animal Production and Health. 2013;11:23-28.
- Alton GG, et al. Bacteriological methods. In Laboratory techniques in brucellosis, 2nd Ed. World Health Organization, Geneva. 1975.
- Butera JB and Rutagwenda T. Strategic Transformation of Agriculture in Rwanda. Animal sub -sector production.Expert group, Consulting and Development Support. Ministry Of Agriculture and Animal Resources, Kigali, Rwanda. 2004.
- Iraqi OMA, et al. Comparison between competitive ELISA and Rose-bengal tests in detection of brucella antibodies in buffalo sera in Mosul city, Iraq. Bas J Vet Res. 2009;8:93.